PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket moonroof visor removal

h22accordex
12-10-2003, 04:15 AM
There is an aftermarket moonroof visor on my new car, the kind that has double sided tape on it. I dont like it and want to know how to get it off without hurting the paint. I have a factory one from honda that i want to put on. Are there any easy ways of getting the old one off?

Autoeng
12-10-2003, 07:18 AM
I had to read this a few times in order to figure out what you were talking about. Instead of a visor I would call it wind deflector as I originally thought that you were talking about the interior covering for a moonroof. That said search for threads about "debadging" as the process is the same. Basically use dental floss to separate the tape from the car and clean with an adhesive remover that won`t damage the paint.

Jesstzn
12-10-2003, 11:21 PM
After the dental floss warm the leftover tape with a hair dryer and rub off what you can with your thumb. Then carfully spray WD-40 on the remaining residue and rub a little more till its gone .. Then wax the area.

imported_Dave Holmes
12-11-2003, 01:17 AM
Exactly what Jesstzn said. I used adhesive remover (3M brand) when I removed my rear emblems. It wasn`t impressing me, and was needing a lot of rubbing. So I soaked a rag in WD-40, then layed it over the remaining adhesive for a couple minutes. Remaining adhesive just wiped off. I thought this was safer than trying to rub a lot with the adhesive remover. When removed, wash area, polish to blend any fading/marring, and wax. If putting on a new one (hopefully with screw on clamps), treat the rubber weather seal first, and get as much wax under it before mounting as you can. I also waxed my entire deflector to make cleaning much easier (they`re tricky to really clean under when mounted, as you probably know).

On my `97 Maxima, I`ve noticed my factory deflector actually increases wind noise when the sunroof is closed. When I have my sunroof open (either vented or slid back), I want the wind and noise coming in, which the deflector somewhat prevents. Anyways, mine is off for now, and the car looks "sleeker" IMHO. You may like yours off, too. Try it for a few days to see what you like.

Hope this helps.

Dave

SK2003TypeS
12-11-2003, 09:48 AM
Goo Gone worked well for me when I debadged.