PDA

View Full Version : 3M SMR and PC, clouding? What am I doing wrong?

armoredsaint
12-06-2003, 10:59 PM
I was experimenting with the 3M SMR for dark cars on my Black Audi, using a white Lake country pad and PC7424 on speed setting 4.5. After I wipe off the haze, it`s somewhat cloudy on the paint, what is this? The garage temp was about 45-50 degrees, did I not wait long enough? Afterwards, I used GEPC by hand and then wax, and everything is back to normal.

Please help! Thanks!

Magellan498
12-07-2003, 09:18 AM
Well it sounds like the 3M SMR hazed the paint a little. I`ve not heard of SMR hazing, but more abrasive polishes often have that byproduct. The GEPC must have just polished it out enough.

It might also be that you didn`t wait long enough for the SMR to break down. Work it in until you think it`s ready, then work it for a minute or so more. Good Luck!

imported_BretFraz
12-07-2003, 10:16 AM
My guess is the surface temp was so low the solvents in the polish didn`t have time to evaporate and it was too cold for the oils to do their job. This problem is common when its too cold or too humid for the product to perform properly.

When you used the other products, they flash cured the polish and solved the problem for you. I imagine a spray of distilled water would have done the same thing.

Just goes to show how finicky some products are in cold temps.

armoredsaint
12-07-2003, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the info, I figured as much about the temperature, the garage was ~45, but I bet the surface of the paint was much colder than that. So next time, I assume you keep working the PC until dry? Thanks!

imported_BretFraz
12-07-2003, 01:43 PM
Work polishes until they are ALMOST dry. You do not want to be buffing a dry panel - Swirl Mark City.

There should be a light haze that is easily wiped off. Don`t go past that point. Every polish has its own personality so you`ll have to keep working it until you get to that hazy point. If the polish starts drying before you`re done polishing, spray some distilled water on the pad so you can keep working it.

GoodnClean
12-07-2003, 03:01 PM
Ditto what bretfraz has said about OVERDOING it especially with SMR. I`ve found that if you work it past the point where its just dried it will mar. I find the 3M products like SMR or PI-III-MG seem much more prone to do that than Meguiars such as DACP or SFP or #9. Not a bad characteristic just something to keep an eye on.