PDA

View Full Version : DACP & FC on non-clear coat?

Lowejackson
12-06-2003, 07:55 AM
Can I use DACP followed by FC to polish a non clear-coat paint or would this be to aggressive.

My black 1994 Alfa has a number of problems but mainly a fantastic collection of swirls but I do recognise just how delicate the paint is therefore I am after some guidance.

imported_Greg
12-06-2003, 10:48 AM
I used DACP 3/4 times on my non clearcoated car and it was fine, the final time, I got a bit over zealous with trying to remove a scratch and found primer in about an inch section on my door. However, I think given I had the PC cranked up to 6 with a yellow pad and was just working one spot, any product would have had the same outcome. I was just being stupid. I personally think it will be fine, but I will let Mike chime in on this one.

imported_FLAWLESS
12-06-2003, 10:57 AM
I`ve just had great success with DACP on single stage paint. I worked my way up to it of course, and couldn`t remove the imperfections with anything else. It did the job excellently. I think if you`ve tried less aggressive products and didn`t have any success with them, go for the DACP. You may need to follow it with swirl free polish, or maybe not. See how it comes out.

Spilchy
12-06-2003, 11:55 AM
Although I have not used DACP on single stage, I have used Meguiars Speed Glaze which is fairly "abrasive" and worked beautifully. I do not know if it is available in the UK.

For me, it is a less aggressive DACP that finishes out with a nice glaze look. (Awesome results when followed by #7!)

If you are worried about it being too aggressive, try it with a polish pad instead of a compound pad with your PC or similar type polisher.

Scottwax mentioned a while back that he used DACP on single stage without issues.

Have you tried Menzerna Intensive Polish? I have heard nice things about it with single stage.

Like everyone always says, start light and move up.

You should be fine!

imported_Aurora40
12-06-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Lowejackson

Can I use DACP followed by FC to polish a non clear-coat paint or would this be to aggressive.

I`m no expert, but if you were to use both of these, wouldn`t you use them in the reverse order? FC then DACP? From what I understand, Fine-Cut doesn`t break down much, and DACP does. So while they start at a similar cut level, DACP works down to a much finer cut.

If you used Fine Cut, though, couldn`t you then just jump to something less aggresive like #9 or SFP? Just a thought...

Mike_Phillips
12-06-2003, 04:26 PM
Hi Lowejackson,

DACP is fine on singel stages. On my home page, ShowCarGarage.com, you will see a blue Porsche that I used DACP on and it came out great.

More information later, I`m in the middle of a Ford SVT clinic.

Below is a future detailer, this politie young boy is already charging $75.00 to detail peoples cars. Here is is removing NXT Tech Wax with a microfiber bonnet off of Mom and Dad`s car.

Mike

Scottwax
12-06-2003, 08:07 PM
Mike-I`ve had my kids helping me detail occasionally (mostly in the summer) since they were about 12 so it is nice to see other kids getting into the hobby/business.

I`ve used DACP on more single stage paint jobs than I can count.

How is this for results? (DACP followed by Vanilla Moose):

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/1099horsetrailer_half_half.jpg

Mike_Phillips
12-07-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Mike-I`ve had my kids helping me detail occasionally (mostly in the summer) since they were about 12 so it is nice to see other kids getting into the hobby/business.

I think it`s great to get kids, both girls and boys involved in the car hobby in one form or another. (For me as a teenager, it kept me out of trouble!)

Just so everyone knows... that fine young gentleman belongs to a couple that attended the Ford SVT clinic this weekend... my little man was at home watching Godzilla movies, (he`s 4 years old and yes he does help daddy on our cars).

I`ve used DACP on more single stage paint jobs than I can count.

How is this for results? (DACP followed by Vanilla Moose):.

Looks good to me, DACP is a very versatile product, I`d almost call it the workhorse of the line.

Mike

Lowejackson
12-08-2003, 12:16 PM
What recommendation for after DACP?

I know this has probably been answered a 100 times, but I do have an infected set of teeth and the old brain is not fully functional :(

Mike_Phillips
12-08-2003, 07:40 PM

My black 1994 Alfa has a number of problems but mainly a fantastic collection of swirls but I do recognize just how delicate the paint is therefore I am after some guidance.

Hi Lowejackson,

First, let me back-up what Aurora40 said about the FC.

#2 Fine Cut Cleaner is more aggressive than the #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish. So the correct order to use this combination would be use the #2 FCC first, and then follow with the #83 DACP.

Now, I’m sure this will bring up the question of the Scale on the label. That`s what we call a Whoops!.

Somewhere along the line, when Meguiar’s decided to include the scale on the label of the traditional Mirror Glaze paint cleaners, this oversight just seem to slip through the cracks. I`ll make sure to bring this to the attention of the appropriate people so that the next time labels changes are made, the scale can be corrected.

I double checked with the head chemist and he confirmed what I already knew, that yes, #2 FCC is definitely more aggressive for cleaning paint and removing defects than #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish.

For the 1965 Corvette I recently buffed out I actually used this combination with the rotary buffer and it worked perfectly. You have to be careful with the #2 Fine Cut Cleaner because it contains Chemical Cutter, along with diminishing abrasives. This chemical cutter softens the very upper surface of the paint making it easier for the diminishing abrasives to do their work.

This is an excellent paint cleaner, one of my personal favorites for working on older single-stage paints. Here’s a tidbit of information that some of you might find interesting, I know I did. The head chemist has never updated this formula. As far as he know, it’s the same formula today as when it was developed, which he thinks was in the 1920’s. (I don’t tend to bother him to open up the books, to check on such things, although I’d like to.

I think that the fact that many of Frank and Malcolm Meguiar’s formula’s have stood the test of time, says something very profound about their skills and knowledge. I mean the #2 Fine Cut Cleaner formula is probably close to 80 years old!

It’s important to note that the #2 Fine Cut Cleaner uses a very different diminishing abrasive than any of the 80’s Series products. For this reason, it may not work as well with a PC as would any of the 80’s series products. You’ll definitely want to work the product until the abrasive have completely broken down. Best results are obtained when this product is used with a rotary buffer.

By the way, when I first saw the acronym, FC, I wasn`t exactly sure you were referring to #2 Fine Cut Cleaner. That’s because there are so many products on the market, I wasn`t sure if FC might have meant, Finish Cut, or some other such product name. That’s why I tend to include the identification part number with the name.

Mike

Mike_Phillips
12-08-2003, 07:43 PM

What recommendation for after DACP?

I know this has probably been answered a 100 times, but I do have an infected set of teeth and the old brain is not fully functional :(

After DACP, you should probably go back over the finish with either #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 or #82 Swirl Free Polish.

Then go to your choice of wax. This will provide better results than just going to wax after the #83 DACP. You could go straight to wax after the DACP, and I have been with the NXT Tech Wax, but that`s mostly to see what can be done, not because I believe it`s the best combination.

Mike

Lowejackson
12-09-2003, 02:13 AM
Thank you all for your help