PDA

View Full Version : 80/20, 75/25 blend on MF? Huh?

armoredsaint
12-05-2003, 10:03 PM
All of my own MF are an 80/20 blend made in Korea. But today I got a free 75/25 blend MF made in China, it is alot softer than the Korean ones and on both sides it`s fluffy, not just one side like the my others. So is the 75/25 better? Confused now...Thanks!

Jesstzn
12-05-2003, 11:04 PM
The Wal-MArt ones I got are 70% polyester and 30% polyamide so now we have 3 different %. These are not very absorbant but work great removing wax and cleaning windows. And passed the CD test.

k2dan
12-06-2003, 06:33 AM
Well there is a 85/15 available in OZ ! Anywhere my knowledge is that it is the size of the fiber not the composition that is the most important thing.

Ive got mainly 80/20 too. The 85/15 is very soft and a terrific cloth though.

I think this may be a trial and error thing. Ive used heaps of brands and they are all different in quality

bobdec
12-08-2003, 10:34 PM
I`ve tried 100`s of different mf towels from dozens of sources over the years. The best ones in a synthetic that I`ve found have been the split fiber 70/30. I also have towels that are 90/10, 85/15, 80/20 and a few that are marked 100% microfiber. I`ve tried towels made in Holland, Italy, Spain, Korea, China, USA, Cambodia and Taiwan. So far my favorites are the Korean. Most important is to find a supplier who has consistently good towels. They last so long that the small difference in price between a good towel and a cheap towel will be forgotten long before the towel wears out.

medic159
12-09-2003, 09:23 AM
Just so you understand, the term microfiber only refers to the size (diameter) of the yarn, it has nothing at all to do with the content. So if you have soemthing that says 100% Microfiber it tell you nothing about the content.

Worrying about percentages will get you nowhere, the weave or knit is what makes the fabic plush or flat, velour or terry, etc. Just be careful and don`t penny pinch, you invest thousands, tens of thousands, in your vehicle so don`t get cheap with the towels. A good quality towel will outlast a cheap one and not damage your finish.

Jesstzn
12-09-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by DFTowel

Just be careful and don`t penny pinch, you invest thousands, tens of thousands, in your vehicle so don`t get cheap with the towels. A good quality towel will outlast a cheap one and not damage your finish.

Are you implying then a cheap one *will* damage your finish? Also you make reference to quality then cheap which implies pricy equals good quality. I`m no expert in MF towels but I do know that cheap will not always get you poor quality and vise versa.

jmsc
12-09-2003, 01:27 PM
I contacted the Australian company that makes those 80/20 and 85/15 MF towels. But, I did not ask them specifically.

Which towels (their style name) are the 85/15?

What 1-2 features make them better than 80/20?

FYI: I was quoted a USA $ price of about $5.00 for their mf`s and about $6.00 for USPO shipping to the US (CT).

I personally trialed alot of different mf towels this summer but I cannot find one that I really like for the heavy duty oily polishes. My favs for light duty (qd and carnauba) are DFT! and Autopian!. I am currently using YoSteve and Charisma for the oily stuff. I am testing the Dupont Sontara cloths now but they are not made for heavy work either.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

togwt
12-09-2003, 01:28 PM
~One man’s opinion~

Microfiber is not a fabric, it is a yarn, spun into thread, which is used to weave or knit fabric. Most so-called Microfiber are made from a nylon by-product (they can be polyester, nylon, or a natural material such as cellulose) By definition, Microfiber are ultra-fine yarns made from various sources, they can, like most materials, be chemically treated to feel soft (this chemical washes out after two or three washings)

Microfiber is two times finer than silk and nearly one hundred times finer than human hair. Most are advertised as having a thread-count of approx 180,000 per square inch, with a blend of polyester/polymide 80/20 with either ‘hooked’ or ‘feathered’ fibres.

The method I use to ensure the fibres won’t scratch is the CD test or the burn chart (both can be found on this website)

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

~ justadumbarchitect ~so I question everything ~

imported_vindaloo
12-09-2003, 05:14 PM
I have tried the MF`s from Pakshak, the Ultra MF`s from Oz & DF towels. IMHO the Pakshak & Oz are superb for removing polish & wax & are never likely to damage any paint. The DF towels are fantastically soft & well made & are a pleasure to use for final buffing & QD work

Autofiber.com
12-13-2003, 05:51 AM
I agree with DFTowel. People ask me this question all the time.

The composition of the towels does not matter so much as the weave and the quality of the towel.

Different types of towels serve different purposes. And most of all only use clean towels.

One more thing, DFTowel is correct, "microfiber" refers to the dimater of the fiber. Products with `micro` `fibers` . But it has become common place in the industry to call the blend of polyester and polyamide, Microfiber. When a towel says 100% microfiber, that means that it is a blend of polyester and polyamide.