PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question re: QD

JDM99
12-05-2003, 02:06 PM
I`d ask for your indulgence on this one. This is really dumb, and didn`t find it in the archives. Anyway, there have been thousands of threads on what kind, comparisons, which MF works best etc. etc. But what is the right way to use to use this stuff? :o How much. A couple of spritzes for the hood? soak it? and how to remove? I use a DF towel. Just wipe it off, buff it? It seems if you just randomly spray the surface, you`ll have a lot of missed spots. But I don`t want to use too much. thanks, Chris

togwt
12-05-2003, 02:26 PM
~One man’s opinion~

I use one or two ‘spritz’ and wipe till I feel some resistance. The point in quick detailing is to get a ‘just detailed’ look back, it’s one of those things that done often enough you’ll instinctively know ‘how much’

~Hope this helps~

PS: The only dumb questions is the one unasked

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

~ justadumbarchitect ~so I question everything ~

imported_BretFraz
12-05-2003, 02:35 PM
Yep, it`s super easy to use. Just work one small section at a time. That way you won`t miss a spot.

Some people spray a fine mist onto a panel, then wipe clean. Others spray a good bit of QD onto a cloth, then wipe the panel. There`s no real trick to this, just experiment a little until you find something that works for you.

ntoddalbert
12-05-2003, 02:53 PM
A good spray bottle with a fine mist spray helps me to make sure the panel is well covered. I like the bottle that Meguairs Final Inspection comes in, I refill it with whatever im usuing ( Final Detail now)

I like the Quickshine Bottle as well just a little big for my tastes but a great sprayer

andriver
12-05-2003, 03:19 PM
I don`t think you have to saturate the surface. A fine mist works fine. Wipe down with a clean MF and turn the MF and wipe down again.

imported_ajbarnes
12-05-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by andriver

I don`t think you have to saturate the surface. A fine mist works fine. Wipe down with a clean MF and turn the MF and wipe down again.

I agree.

PAW
12-05-2003, 07:54 PM
Gently wipe! I like to fold in half and then roll my towel into two side by side rolls. Kind of like the reels in a cassette tape or VHS tape. I rotate the towel as I wipe, actually more of a slow swipe. When one area of the towel show dirt, a roll the dirty section up and expose a clean section. Like forwarding the tape. When that whole side is dirty, I refold the towel, roll it and do it again. I can get 4 toweling surfaces out of one towel and I`m always using a clean section of the towel.

Scottwax
12-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by andriver

Yep, and believe me, you will feel any spots you missed because the mf won`t glide as easily over those areas.

BlueRanger
12-05-2003, 08:49 PM
So heres another stupid questoin, kinda thread jacking, but i think it relates. I bought a galon of FD, and did my dads silver vette with it, and i really didnt notice a difference. It hasnt been waxed in a good year or so, so im assuming that as soon as i get the klasse twins and s100 on there the fd will really make a difference?

imported_Greg
12-05-2003, 10:25 PM
I think you will notice some difference, but Silver is a really tough color to make look outstanding. Advantages are it doesn`t show dirt and dust as much, but it can be more difficult to make really pop. Any QD isn`t going to suddenly make the surface look good again, it certainly aids in properly prepped surface though.

chris0626
12-05-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

[BI use one or two ‘spritz’ and wipe till I feel some resistance. The point in quick detailing is to get a ‘just detailed’ look back, it’s one of those things that done often enough you’ll instinctively know ‘how much’[/B]

I agree with the majority opinion here that "you`ll feel it and know it" when you do it right. And there`s really not much you can do wrong ... unless you use QD on a dirty car and introduce scratches ....

But I do have a question/quibble about TOGWT`s comment. I spritz the QD onto the paint, then start buffing (and, BTW, KUDOS on getting the DFTowel! :bow ) At first, I feel resistance, but when it`s "right," I just feel a slick gliding. I guess that`s just a silly fine-point. :nixweiss

When I do the first panel, the results aren`t as great, because I don`t yet have much product in my towel. So sometimes, I`ll hit that first panel again as the last step.

BTW, I really appreciate some of the fine points that are being offered in this thread. Gotta try out some of these other tips.

BlueDragonZ
12-06-2003, 12:48 AM
When I QD I usually spray the panel I`m working on uand se one MF to spread the QD then use another to wipe off.