PDA

View Full Version : ghetto alternative to plating rotors?

jjagain
12-05-2003, 11:34 AM
I`m getting new rotors and pads installed on Monday. Since this was a last minute thing, there isn`t time to send the rotors out to get plated.

Does anyone know of any other way to protect the rotor from rust and brake dust? Can i get some rustoleum or high temperature paint and spray the whole rotor? the first couple of brake applications should be enough to remove the paint from the area where the pads come into contact with the rotor.

opinions?

MBZ 500E
12-05-2003, 12:35 PM
A good high temp paint will work for a reasonable amount of time from what others have suggested. If you do this you really should tape off the wear surface to prevent gumming up your brake pads.

imported_kgb
12-05-2003, 12:58 PM
I would not put anything on my rotos at all! You will end up in the back of another car when you try to stop.

imported_Todd
12-05-2003, 01:09 PM
Please don`t call my Type R rotors ghetto. :)

http://home.earthlink.net/~ouanod/TypeRbrakesrusty.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~ouanod/TypeRbrakespainted2.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~ouanod/TypeRbrakespainted1.jpg

Eastwood high temp silver (brush-on) paint, If you were interested.

Dean

togwt
12-05-2003, 01:41 PM
Nice wheels. Applying paint to rotors just sounds `sortta iffy`to me.

Just a thought `paint the calipers red` they should stand out well from your white wheels`.

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

~ justadumbarchitect ~so I question everything ~

MBZ 500E
12-05-2003, 01:53 PM
Have to jump in here.

If you take a look at Dean`s rotors you`ll note he`s only painted the surfaces which do not come in contact with the brake pad. This is very common with show cars and done frequently. As long as the paint is not applied to the wear surface you`ll be fine. If you do apply paint to the wear surface it should be removed with brass brush prior to installing it.

Since plating is a metal it will wear away without causing problems with brake pads. Typical plating processes for rotors include Cadmium plating and Nickel Plating. If you go with this option you should take into account increased braking distance until the plating is worn off of the wear surface.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

ehgvette
12-05-2003, 04:08 PM
I think it looks great, I can tell the rotors are done, but from the angle it`s kind of hard to tell whether the calipers are done too. Did you tape off the rotors first?

imported_Todd
12-05-2003, 10:00 PM
Yes, sir.

The calipers have been painted with silver Folia Tec brake caliper paint. Sorry, my Canadian-spec Type already has a screaming red interior. I`m not about to paint the calipers red :)

Only the rotor hats are painted. Any surface that comes in contact with the brake pads is left untouched. It`s a very easy project that has so far looked good after 1 year.

Dean

shaf
12-06-2003, 03:41 AM
Try searching for a thread or two by Luster who paints the whole rotors and just lets the paint rub off from the pads like you said. Not that complicated and looks good.

Brad B
12-06-2003, 11:12 AM
I have always painted the rotor edges and hubs. The best high heat paints will work well for street cars. The Carrera, which sees the track will burn off the paint much quicker.

For touch ups I don`t even bother removing wheels, I use a 12" long artists paintbrush and go through the wheels. (Spray the paint in a cap and dab.) I just lay it on the edge of the rotor, which is the area that looks rusty, and if there is any slight bit of spillage on the shiny surface I just wipe away or it will be removed the first time I hit the brakes. It`s too little paint to cause any gumming.

http://fototime.com/483250CFE7D2B85/standard.jpg

shaf
12-08-2003, 12:32 AM
Once again that`s a great pic Brad. :cool:

Do you use 1500 F paint or 900 F? I`m just curious because Plastikote actually sells a brake caliper paint, but it`s only rated to 900 F while they have a different line of paint rated up to 1500 F which would sound like a better idea to me? :confused: