PDA

View Full Version : grout sponges for washing???

airjames
12-04-2003, 10:27 PM
I was told by a member of showcargarage, I`ll keep there name anonomyus, that grout sponges are really good for not inducing swirls into the paint. Says you can pick them at home depot.

The other side of the coin so to speak, my dad says there used for removing grout between tiles and hold alot of dirt. Who;s right here??? 91

Jngrbrdman
12-04-2003, 10:57 PM
I`m not a big fan of using sponges of any type. They can trap dirt inside the sponge that you either redeposit on your car as you wash or you squeeze it out into your wash bucket and makes the two bucket method less effective. I don`t care what kind of sponge it is... they aren`t as safe as a good mitt. Maybe the grout sponge has less of a chance of creating swirls, but its still probably more of a chance than you would have if you were using a mitt. That`s just my guess anyway....

Jesstzn
12-04-2003, 11:08 PM
100% agree with Jngrbrdman

I graduated frome sponges 3 black cars ago

Mr. Clean
12-04-2003, 11:30 PM
I don`t know about a grout sponge, but I prefer a sponge over any mitt/chenille covered sponge I`ve ever tried. Debris always seems to get caught in the "threads" of the chenille and does not rinse out . I have not tried a MF mitt, so that might be an alternative.

Onehole
12-05-2003, 12:23 AM
A friends car after being washed once only with a sponge. Paint was new (and soft obviously), but check the swirls!

http://www.brackenrig.net/tony/swirlmarks.jpg

Mike_Phillips
12-05-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by F-150_91

I was told by a member of ShowCarGarage, I`ll keep there name anonymous, that grout sponges are really good for not inducing swirls into the paint. Says you can pick them at home depot.

The other side of the coin so to speak, my dad says there used for removing grout between tiles and hold a lot of dirt. Who’s right here??? 91

Here`s the link,

http://www.showcargarage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300

By the way, Dave, (my friend), who told me about this, has been detailing car for 17 years.

Also, I never wrote anywhere I agree, or endorse this product, but I did write I was open to new ideas. (anybody else open to new ideas).

In fact, here`s what I wrote,

Because I have always tried to learn from other people, new ideas, new products and new techniques, I thought I would pass this on to my forum and I will also be picking up a few of these to try myself.

Note: The picture of the sponge is one that is worn and tatty that was delegated to under carriage icky work. I snagged it out of the garbage after Dave left just to give everyone an idea of the type of sponge being referred to.

I am a big fan of fuzzy wash mitts and have posted very specific posts about them both here and on ShowCarGarage.

But... I have an open mind and despite JB in Irvine`s photo, I`m still going to try them. Nothing like re-establishing what you already know.

Mike

imported_garyo
12-05-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by JB in Irvine

A friends car after being washed once only with a sponge. Paint was new (and soft obviously), but check the swirls!

http://www.brackenrig.net/tony/swirlmarks.jpg

Boxster or 996?

Onehole
12-05-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by bet993

Boxster or 996?

Boxster S

airjames
12-06-2003, 12:28 AM
Tks guys,

That pic of the Boxster is sad looking, but I`m sure maybe some DACP followed up with Swirl free should do the trick;)

Seems sponges have developed a reputation for stratching but like mike said, if he has buddies detailing cars for 17 years and used grout sponges sucessfully, I"ll take his word for it.

Mike until you can get some info, I`ll stick with my sheepskin. Tks again to all,,,,,91