PDA

View Full Version : Window cleaner on Zaino?

sbkang
12-04-2003, 04:47 PM
I was just at the local hand car wash, which usually does a pretty good job. Just before drying the car, the guy sprayed down my entire roof with the pink stuff he uses to clean the windows. Lord knows why; I was too far away to stop him. Assuming it`s some sort of generic Windex-like cleaner, did he just strip off my Zaino?

Jesstzn
12-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Spritz some water on the roof and the hood .. if it beads different he might have. I think you need a good mix of alcohol/water to lift Zaino .. not sure if ammonia based window cleaner will do it.

JJUACC
12-04-2003, 06:53 PM
Unless it contained alcohol, it won`t remove the Zaino. You might have a duller finish depending what was in the solution.

spetulla
12-04-2003, 10:52 PM
Highly unlikely it did.

rstype
12-04-2003, 11:17 PM
It`s highly likely that your Zaino is no longer there. While Z does last longer than anything I`ve tried, alcohol or ammonia will remove it. IMO, beading isn`t too good of a determining factor, as water reacts differently to glass than to paint.

Personally, I doubt it matters if it stripped the Z or not. Why do you want to know? It`s not like glass needs the UV protection of clearcoat. It doesn¡Â¦t fade as quickly as paint.

My 2 cents...

TortoiseAWD
12-05-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by BW

Personally, I doubt it matters if it stripped the Z or not. Why do you want to know? It`s not like glass needs the UV protection of clearcoat. It doesn¡Â¦t fade as quickly as paint.

I think the car wash employee sprayed glass cleaner on his roof, so he`s concerned about what it did to the Z on the paint, not the glass:

Originally posted by JamesLA

. . . the guy sprayed down my entire roof with the pink stuff he uses to clean the windows. IMO, I`d re-seal the roof. Even if the glass cleaner didn`t completely remove the Zaino, it probably didn`t do it any favors in terms of longevity. I`d throw some more Z-2 or Z-5 on the roof after the next wash just for peace of mind.

Tort

rstype
12-05-2003, 09:43 AM
Ahh, gotcha. I can`t believe I missed that. I agree with Tort, go ahead and re-Z.

:o

Young_Stallion
12-05-2003, 01:01 PM
We use stuff like that an the spa at the bmw dealership.

It is most likely a paint safe HD cleaner/soap or a citrus spray