PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Woob
12-03-2003, 07:36 PM
:wavey I need help! I sorta wanna start a small detailing service. Here is the challenge:

Approx $150 to spend on supplies + Easy to use, even for a first timer + Good in Sun

Ive made a general choice:

JT International MF

Klasse AIO + SG

S100

Also, this would be in NC in the Spring/Summer cause now its way to cold.

I do have the Mothers 3 Step system.

HELP! Gimme all your advice! I know you detailing nuts (bow :bow) are tickering around waiting to tell your knowledge!

Thanks! :xyxthumbs :

shaf
12-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Hi, and welcome to Autopia. :welcome

I`m tempted to move this to the Professional Detailers forum because you mention you`re thinking of doing this as a business (even if it`s small), but for now I think I`ll leave this here for now because you have concerns with your products and it looks like you`re just starting out.

Without getting into the product selection aspect of running a detail service on the side or whatnot, you should get a lot of experience detailing unknown cars first. There are quite a few people here who have or do detail cars on the side for friends or acquaintances. Unless all you`re offering is a simple wash & wax service, and not really "detailing" per se, you`re going to have to:

- be experienced enough to estimate times needed to complete jobs and know how to deal with problems you encounter

- have a PC or machine of some sort to help you

- have enough practice to complete jobs quickly but properly

I don`t know about you, but after doing some details for friends, I`m not even thinking about doing some detailing for $$$. One thing that I remember people saying is that jobs are often never quite as simple as you think they`re going to be, and they`re right.

I`m not trying to turn you off from this idea by any means. I`m just trying to make sure you know what you`re getting into, and that you can properly assess what kind of services you are thinking of offering in relation to what you are actually capable of. Good luck, and I hope that helps.

Auto Care USA
12-03-2003, 09:10 PM
Do yourself a favor and work at the best detail shop in your area for a year or 2 before you start your own business. You will learn many trade secrets and get hands on experience. $150 will not even put a dent in the supplies that you will need. Down the road when you have the proper experience and the cash to open a detail shop I would recomend to do so, but not now.

imported_Greg
12-03-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

One thing that I remember people saying is that jobs are often never quite as simple as you think they`re going to be, and they`re right.

SO VERY TRUE!! :bow

Like the other two have said, $150 won`t make a dent into supplies needed. I`ve spent over $1,500 this year and am finally getting to where I want to be. Honestly though, it all comes down to experience. I just wish someone had told me to not jump out there and start trying to make money right away because I wasn`t ready. I`ve had to not charge a customer because I didn`t have the ability/products to perform a task I thought I could. Also, download the ebook because David wrote a fantastic article on Detailing for Profit.

Woob
12-03-2003, 10:28 PM
http://www.carolinaautospa.net

Thats an auto spa that is near me. they seem to get alot of business so i might go and see how they do anything... does anyone work in NC? thanks!

jimmybuffit
12-04-2003, 07:08 AM
I do not know anthing at all about Carolinaautospa.

Having said that, my experience with similar type operations are that they are all about volume (like dealerships), and it may not be the best way to learn *quality* processes and procedures. See if you can find a smaller shop...

IMHO, the rest of the responses to your request are right on the money!

Jim

togwt
12-04-2003, 10:43 AM
~One man’s opinion~

You’ll find the advice here reliable and I will only add that what they are saying is well worth listening to.

I detail for money (I do something else to support my family) but I’m not a professional. I’m sure you’ll hear this from many others (and it’s by no means to boast) the last order I put in to re-stock some supplies last week was for $275 (and I only detail an average of 1-2 cars per week-end)

When I first came here the amongst the best advice I found after all that reading and research was this quote from hondaguy2582; "Learn the prep b4 using good products, it will save you $$$ in the long run."

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

~ justadumbarchitect ~so I question everything ~

AndyC
12-04-2003, 11:07 AM
- What they all said.

I`ve spent about £350 - $550 roughly - since June this year and that`s just for personal use.

Neighbours have started asking whether I`ll "do" their cars but at this stage I don`t know enough (plus they`re only asking coz the weather`s starting to turn nasty and they want to pay bottom dollar).

I`m gonna keep learning and using my car & GF`s car to try new products and techniques but like TOGWT I do have a day job which pays the bills so detailing at the moment is a hobby not a job.

I`d say keep reading Autopian stuff, subscribe to DavidB`s Guide to Detailing as there`s a whole section on detailing for profit and get yourself some hands on experience - no substitute for using products and machinery and putting what you read here into practice

BUT I always applaud anyone with the drive to succeed and the guts to do their own thing so GOOD LUCK to you!

cmk-2
12-04-2003, 01:14 PM
:xyxthumbs in know how you feel it is a big step to go selfemployed detailing cars .i myself have over17 years in the motor industry valeting and now detailing cars as im mobile .i am now looking to start up my own detailing unit so i can spend more time on the cars i do here in sussex england.and the cost alone for the unit is bad enough thank god that i have all my products as it would cost me an arm and a leg:scared .but im going to give it one hell of a go to make it work:brit

AndyC
12-05-2003, 03:16 AM
Whitevanman - where in Sussex are u? I`m in Basingstoke but get across to Sussex/Kent regularly. WOuld be good to meet up some time!

togwt
12-05-2003, 10:28 AM
whitevanman

Good luck with your new venture mate

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

~ justadumbarchitect ~so I question everything ~

cmk-2
12-10-2003, 02:24 PM
thanks guys for your support .im based in the pulborough area of sussex near to petworth .but travel all over the country detailing peoples cars helicopters and bikes and today been doing a horsebox for one of my customers what a nightmare lol but getting one hell of a shine with the Mothers on it