PDA

View Full Version : Platinum UPP slickness

Pages : [1] 2

TCL
12-03-2003, 06:42 PM
I recently applied Platinum UPP to my daily driver. I planned to use it on my special vehicle but did not due to the strong chemical odor present when I first opened the bottle. Two things jumped out at me after applying the product. The chemical odor seemed much less the second time I used the product. The other more dramatic reaction was how slick the surface of the car feels now. Feels much slicker than the other two polymers I`ve tried. I`ve never felt a surface this slick before. I was surprised that the slickness is only rated a 4 in the review section of this board (I`d give it a 5). Am I off base with this rating or are there products that produce much slicker surfaces than UPP?

Jngrbrdman
12-03-2003, 07:49 PM
Slickness isn`t always the result of a superior product. Sometimes its a result of more oils in the product or maybe better surface preperation before. You could use the slickest product on the market but if you apply it on a 20 year old oxidized piece of garbage that has sat under a pine tree for 5 years then its probably not going to be as slick as a 2 year old car that lives in a garage and is clayed 3 times a year.

I try not to touch my cars too much so I`m not sure how to gauge slickness. Did you rate this on how a towel slid off the hood or just from your fingers? I`m curious to know how to rate the slickness factor. I don`t usually want to run my fingers over the car right after I apply a product because most product still have some oils that can evaporate. Usually I base my slickness opinions on how it feels as I wash it. Cars aren`t for touching at my house. ;) Of course, I`m a little weird too.

AMP01
12-03-2003, 08:44 PM
When I recently applied PUPP on top of AIO, I also noticed that it was pretty slick feeling when wiping off with a MF and when QDing. It has to be up there as far as slickness goes. I then topped with P21S and it is also pretty slick feeling.

imported_Greg
12-03-2003, 08:53 PM
I wanted to like Platinum, I really did. I`ve given it so many chances and it has failed every time. Every time it streaks and looks terrible. It just seems like it is very oily which really isn`t what I want in a sealant. I put up my brand new bottle on the Abay. I am wondering if it is because my car isn`t clearcoated? I have no other logical explanation because everyone else seems to rave about its ease of use. Oh well, I really like Klasse on it.

AMP01
12-03-2003, 09:01 PM
Greg,

How did you prep and apply PUPP? Also, how long did you let it dry? I have had good results applying PUPP over the Platinum Polish and over AIO. When I apply PUPP, I try to use very thin layers and then remove it after about 45 min to an hour. If you havn`t done any of these steps, you may want to try it again. :D

Cheers,

imported_Greg
12-03-2003, 09:07 PM
Well I have done the following:

AIO, PUPP- streaked

Platinum Pre-Cleaner, PUPP- streaked

Alcohol/ Water mixture, PUPP- streaked

PUPP applied with MF pad- streaked

PUPP applied with yellow foam pad- streaked

PUPP applied with PC grey pad- streaked

Let dry 5 min- streaked

Let dry 30 min- streaked

Let dry 1 hr- streaked

Let dry overnight- streaked

Well you get the idea! SG seems like a breeze compared to this stuff!

Jngrbrdman
12-03-2003, 09:16 PM
Perhaps you are using too much? I can do an entire car with only two applications on my PC. I load it and do half the hood and can get it to spread all the way around my car to the trunk. Then I put more on and it goes the rest of the way around. I`ve never had trouble with it smearing. Actually, I had issues with Blackfire smearing when I did it by hand but not when I used a PC. I`m thinking the amount of the product could be key.

imported_Greg
12-03-2003, 09:27 PM
I am applying it almost as thin as SG. Let just say, it would take me years to go through an entire bottle given my usage. I`m much happier with Klasse and might try Z in the future, but its certainly not a priority.

TCL
12-03-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

....Did you rate this on how a towel slid off the hood or just from your fingers? I`m curious to know how to rate the slickness factor. I don`t usually want to run my fingers over the car right after I apply a product because most product still have some oils that can evaporate. Usually I base my slickness opinions on how it feels as I wash it. Cars aren`t for touching at my house. ;) Of course, I`m a little weird too.

I notice the slickness everytime I touch any painted surface on the car. Usually the door, the painted door handle, and the trunk (can`t avoid touching those parts during normal use of the vehicle). I`m not one for putting fingers on cars either, but everytime I feel the surface of the door when getting out of the vehicle I have to touch it again since I can`t believe how smooth it feels.

I guess the real test will be how long the slickness lasts.

Andre'
12-04-2003, 02:35 AM
Platinum Pre-Cleaner and PUPP aren`t bad products. I used them on mom`s white buick and i was surprised how reflective and clear the finish looked, and yes very slick. The slickness lasted about 3 washes, the overall protection lasted a good 4 months. It`s no Klasse or Zaino, however i do feel it may be better than some of the popular products used by forum members today. :)

DCT
12-05-2003, 01:20 PM
I also find UPP to be very slick, and I prefer the look of UPP to Zaino or Klasse (un-topped) on "most" colors! Duarability seems to be better than most carnauba`s, but less than Z or Klasse. Never had a problem with it streaking, but it probably could happen? All in all, a very nice product!

imported_Intermezzo
12-05-2003, 05:47 PM
tcl, I have found freshly applied Platinum to be super-slick. I can`t resist testing the slickness of my cars (using the back of my hand, of course!) whenever I am finished detailing or washing it. And because of my fettish for testing the slickness of clean, well detailed cars, I can confidently state that Platinum and Blackfire are two of the strongest in this department.

However, it doesn`t last nearly as long as Zaino.....initial slickness is great, but like Andre said, it wears out after about a month at best.

imported_memnuts
12-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Thanks Greg for the deal on ABay. I have been using my sample UPP on the black LS400 and it`s almost gone. Perfect timing. :D

Sorry the UPP did not work for you.

It really works great on the Lexus` clearcoat black paint. I did my winter/fall prep with clay, DACP, Platium polish than UPP. All with PC. Easy on easy-off with MF`s. My wife even commented how nice Platium look on this vehicle ( the only other such comment came after the LS`s first dose of Souveran ;) ). For some reason UPP combo works well on this vehicle.

2wheelsx2
12-05-2003, 07:46 PM
I found UPP to work great on black or red. Both colours come out very wet and deep.

Scottwax
12-05-2003, 08:27 PM
Greg-I`ve found high oil liquid products tend to streak on non clearkoted paint, especially on BMWs. I had the same problem with a white 750iL I detailed a while back. Both Meguiars #26 and Carnauba Moose would leave streaks, but S100 did not.