PDA

View Full Version : X-pel, 3M Scotchcal, 3M Window Cling??

gnahc79
12-03-2003, 05:53 PM
I`m looking to put protective film on selective areas of my bike, maybe my car if Santa is nice this year :). I`m looking for the most cost-effective material to do this. Here are the options I`ve found so far:

X-Pel: $6.50/ft for 12", DIY cutting involved

3M Scotchcal: no idea on the cost (saw it on the 3M website), seems expensive and not easy to find retail, DIY cutting invloved

www.thetankslapper.biz: ~$50, offers precut sheets using some 3M product, probably not Scotchcal though. A post on a bike board says they use 3M Window Cling, whatever that is.

I`m a bit wary of doing the cutting since the lower fairing by the headers is a curved surface (like a big U). Any thoughts/suggestions?

jkochis
12-04-2003, 10:26 AM
There`s a decent article on the stuff in the latest Motor Trend. It mentioned (not specifically though unfortunately) a special knife that is used that will cut the film, and not hurt the paint. I had never heard of such a knife.

gnahc79
12-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Oh, I`m was thinking of using tracing paper first to get the shape right.

I might just fork over the $50 to tankslapper to get the precut film and use it as tracing paper on some X-pel sheets. Pretty Autopian IMO :D.

jkochis
12-04-2003, 04:21 PM
That might work, but it might not be "exactly" as you want it..it might not meet up with edges or wrap around as far as you would like. The pros apparently put it on and cut it later - then again, it`s probably cheapest for them that way. The 3M film comes in different thicknesses.

Oh, and another thing that the article mentioned was that the areas covered by the film appeared duller in sunlight, and that they expected "lifetime" of the film to be 7yrs. For whatever that info is worth.