PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for a newbie Klasse user?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_The Uncle
12-03-2003, 03:06 PM
And, yeah, I`ve used the search option and read most of the existing posts on the topic. (including the discussion of different ways to apply SG, as well as the thread in the "hall of fame" forum).

I`ve have a 6-month old car, and I`ve already used Meguire Gold and S100 on it. It is a light colored car, with no swirl marks or problems with the paint. I like the way MG and S100 looks, but I wanted to go with something that would offer better (and more durable) protection. So, if hanging out at this site for a while, I decided to give Klasse a try. I`ve got a 16 ounce bottles of AIO and SG sitting on my desk now, and planned to try AIO this weekend, and then start layering SG next weekend.

To be honest, I`m a tad initmidated. I`ve seen a few newbies (like me) visit this forum in the past, and the advice they always seem to get is to go with Mothers or Meg three-step solution. Anyway, the sense I`ve gotten here is that the Klasse approach may be a bit more complex than it sounds.

togwt
12-03-2003, 03:19 PM
~One man’s opinion~

I don’t think you’ll find it difficult or intimidating there are some good ideas here on application methods. Like most things “find a method that works, one that suits you and gives you the results you find matches your needs†I would add ‘ 90% Preparation, 5% product, the rest is in the ‘guy’ of the beholder.

Klasse is a great product (it`s not Autoglym, but then nothings perfect - lol)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/

~ justadumbarchitect ~so I question everything ~

andriver
12-03-2003, 03:29 PM
Don`t be intimidated. Just follow the directions on the bottle. It works great. Good luck.

imported_The Uncle
12-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Thanks guys.

I`ve been doing a lot of reading at this site too and got some helpful hints.

dmatre
12-03-2003, 03:53 PM
I would check the threads with the BillNorth method.

I did two cars over the past two weekends, and can advise my personal advice:

If applying AIO by Porter Cable polisher, work at about speed setting 4. Spritz the pad with a shot of quick detail spray (I don`t think that brand is critical), and add a small dab of AIO. Then work smoothly over the entire panel several times. After applying to the panel, wipe off excess with a microfiber cloth (no need to wait for it to dry).

It`s really not too hard to apply AIO and SG, so I wouldn`t wait a week - I`d go straight to SG after finishing the last panel with AIO.

When using the SG, use a microfiber application pad, slightly damp (wet out, then wrung out). Apply a very small amount, and work it by hand, covering over each place on a panel about 3 times. Then immidiately wipe off the SG using a dry microfiber cloth. Wait 24 hours, and apply a second coat of SG using the same method.

The results I got were very good, with none of the hazing or streaking that I had read about in several of the other Klasse SG threads.

Good luck, and enjoy the results!

imported_The Uncle
12-03-2003, 04:19 PM
This is REALLY helpful.

I`m going to start using the AIO by hand. So, from what I`ve read in the HALL OF FAME thread, the approach is to use a damp applicator pad, a nickel size dab of AIO, and then wipe off excess with MF. Right?

dmatre
12-03-2003, 04:27 PM
That`s the way it was recommended by CMA.

I would think that it would be similar whether by hand or by PC: Damp applicator, and a small `dollop` of AIO. After doing a panel or two, you`ll find the correct amount. Once you start, you`ll realize that it`s pretty hard to screw it up. I found AIO to be very easy and forgiving. (SG was the same way for me - using the BillNorth method, but I`ve read some horror stories here as well)

PS: Let us know how it comes out on Monday!

imported_The Uncle
12-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help.

2wheelsx2
12-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Just one additional note.

Do the AIO (even 2 coats if you want), but follow with one coat of SG. If your paint is in good shaped (clayed, polished, etc.) those two steps should only take you an hour.

Then put on a second coat of SG the next weekend. Then you`re all set for the winter. The recommended curing (not drying) time for SG is 24 hours, so leaving it until the next weekend will allow you to layer onto a cured coat.

imported_The Uncle
12-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Doesn`t AIO have "curing" time as well? I thought AIO would need 24 hours as well.

jimmybuffit
12-03-2003, 08:02 PM
"Doesn`t AIO have "curing" time as well?"

There`s a label on that bottle, young man!

Do one panel at a time. Do not wait, wipe it off. Do the next panel...

SG requires time to cure. Not true for AIO.

Jim

imported_The Uncle
12-03-2003, 08:11 PM
Thank you for calling me a "young man" and thanks for the VERY helpful information.

This forum rocks. You guys are a wealth of useful information. :)

chris0626
12-04-2003, 12:37 AM
I feel your pain, "young man." :D I too was a bit intimidated about trying the Klasse twins. But I did the reading you`ve done (especially the Hall of Fame article), and went at the old Benz, and it worked great. The only significant problem I had was removing the AIO residue (which was a major PITA in my case), but I`m quite certain that was because I was applying it to a long-neglected, quite oxidized finish.

Also, I quickly realized that, when applying the AIO, the pad should just barely be damp. Too much liquid makes it too watery. No adverse effect on the results, just seemed to take me a little longer to "work it."

By the way, be aware that Autopians require meticulous, attentive "care and feeding." So if you want to keep them from snarling, be sure to take "before-and-after" pictures and post them here after your weekend`s work. :up

imported_The Uncle
12-04-2003, 01:21 AM
How important is it to clay the car first? My car is new (it had about 5 miles on it when i took delivery) and the finish is very smooth.

chris0626
12-04-2003, 02:02 AM
I may be in the minority here ... but ... you`ve had the car 6 months and it`s never been clayed? I`d clay that baby in a New York minute. For one thing, it got subjected to lots of debris, including rail dust, before you even saw it. Since then, if I`m recalling LA`s pollution situation correctly, it`s been subjected to significant pollution.

Here (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=146490&highlight=clay#post146490) is the testimonial I posted after my first clay experience, on a car that I believed had a "flawless" finish. I`d just encourage you to pick up some clay (Mother`s is good and readily available) and just try a 2-foot section. If you decide you don`t need to clay now, just put the clay on a shelf, and you`ll definitely want it 6 months from now.