PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes new nanotechnology clearcote

Pages : [1] 2

neoprufrok
12-03-2003, 12:54 PM
Not sure if this is a repost, but I found it very interesting. If this is true, it`s great and will help reduce the swirling/scratching. Hopefully other car manufacturers will adopt it.

Mercedes new ClearCoat (http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2031203.001/page/1/mercedes-benz/1.html)

Gonzo
12-03-2003, 12:58 PM
Guess that will make OP a b*tch to remove now!

Quickstrike
12-03-2003, 01:07 PM
http://www.germancarfans.com/photos/3031203.001/1011big.jpg

Big difference! Those Deutschlanders are always thinking of something.

Bill D
12-03-2003, 01:16 PM
Sounds like joy to MB owners and car wash operators and big frowns from pro detailers.

togwt
12-03-2003, 01:37 PM
~One man’s opinion~

Interesting article, and a complete turn-around from what was the norm for the German’s and their previous thinking that a ‘soft’ clear coat would better ‘absorb’ stone chips etc that were damaging cars travelling at high speed on the Autobahn

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

~ justadumbarchitect ~so I question everything ~

Quickstrike
12-03-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

~One man’s opinion~

Interesting article, and a complete turn-around from what was the norm for the German’s and their previous thinking that a ‘soft’ clear coat would better ‘absorb’ stone chips etc that were damaging cars travelling at high speed on the Autobahn

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

~ justadumbarchitect ~so I question everything ~

Yes, that idea was better then, now there is new technology out that can create clear coats much more durable then before.

They were aware of the limitations of the past clear coat manufacturing process, so they didn`t jump on the bandwagon.. Now they can.

MBZ 500E
12-03-2003, 02:07 PM
Ops, just posted the same thing in Hot Tub.

The doors side by side are amazing, I didn`t think it would provide that much of a difference. As mentioned before I wonder how well this paint will hold up to stone chips. I also wonder how well it will hold up to oxidation and the elements.

I`m sure hand polishing will have no affect on this type of paint.

tom p.
12-03-2003, 02:23 PM
previous mention at CMA:

Future clear coat technology.

Mercedes-Benz is rumored to have developed a Ceramic Crystal Coating for their new Maybach that is super-hard and extremely resistant to scratching and spotting. If this is the case, (the Mercedes consultant gave me a "no comment" on this) it could signal a shift in thinking that could impact other German automakers as early as 2005. In the near future, "soft" German clear coats may be a thing of the past.

link (http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/aregepadi.html)

endus
12-03-2003, 02:40 PM
Fascinating.

Now, the three most important questions...

1.) Is there any difference in the tools/process that a bodyshop has to account for?

2.) When will it be available to paintshops?

3.) How much will it cost to paint a 1998 Nissan Maxima with it? :D

JAGOWNER1981
12-03-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by endus

Fascinating.

Now, the three most important questions...

1.) Is there any difference in the tools/process that a bodyshop has to account for?

2.) When will it be available to paintshops?

3.) How much will it cost to paint a 1998 Nissan Maxima with it? :D

I have read some articles and it said that it will be available to mercedes paint shops but will not be as effective as the factory applied version.

endus
12-03-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by AlBoston

I have read some articles and it said that it will be available to mercedes paint shops but will not be as effective as the factory applied version.

Yea I just saw that there were a few more pages to it...didn`t notice that. It said that they will dip the panels at the factory...crazy!!

GeneH
12-04-2003, 01:56 PM
thats awesome.....cuz even though i like to detail...its still annoying...

that before and after pic reminds me of when i see cars driving and they re-painted one section but was to cheap for the shop to blend the rest......lol......

GoodnClean
12-04-2003, 02:55 PM
Sounds very cool...

Looking at those photos though, I`ve got to ask, what kind of carwash are they running those things through? I`ve been running cars through carwashes weekly for years and have never had a car look like the front panel in that picture. 60 carwashes is just over a years worth. Seems a little bit over dramatized to me.

MnRiverman
12-04-2003, 04:11 PM
It sure does seem a little over dramatized to me also.

They marred the hell out of that first panel! :D

Quickstrike
12-04-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by GoodnClean

Sounds very cool...

Looking at those photos though, I`ve got to ask, what kind of carwash are they running those things through? I`ve been running cars through carwashes weekly for years and have never had a car look like the front panel in that picture. 60 carwashes is just over a years worth. Seems a little bit over dramatized to me.

It says "after 5 years of practical trials and 60 car washes"

These trials can mean anything; extreme temperature changes, wiping the panel repeatedly with different cloths, brushes..