PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl and Rubber trim help.

AutoNova
12-02-2003, 07:19 PM
I have a 1999 Ford Taurus and the trim that is around the windows at the bottom of the window is spotted. I use some rubber protectant on it but it doesn`t do much good. How can I clean this up? Will I need to remove it and paint it? Any suggestion from the Daddy Macs?:rolleyes:

adrianko43
12-02-2003, 07:44 PM
Ive heard of some ppl using peanut butter. Dont know if it works b/c ive never tried it myself. :)

GearHead_1
12-02-2003, 08:13 PM
I think the peanut butter is for removing wax residue not presentation or protection. Maybe I read this post wrong. I re-read it and maybe the spots that are being referred to are wax spots.

imported_edschwab1
12-02-2003, 08:23 PM
AutoNova,

What are you currently using on the trim?

Eric

TINTORO
12-03-2003, 03:54 PM
Common problem with 99 FRD Taurus, Water spots and air born pollutants etched into the trim. Try 303 Aerospace cleaner to clean trim and the 303 Aerospace protectant to keep from happining again. With regular use will keep spots from coming back and trim from fading. Before divorce had 99 Taurus Wagon Se

chris0626
12-04-2003, 12:57 AM
AutoNova, have you read the Autopia e-book yet?

Also, this might be a good time for you to experiment with the Autopia search engine -- which, I know, can be a little frustrating due to some of its limitations. I ran this search (http://www.autopia.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=200380&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending) and came up with just 63 posts. Admittedly, some of them focus on products that won`t stain rubber -- which is something you`ll want to pay attention to in the future, but won`t help you much right now. But others refer to some products (like Meguiar`s #39 and AIO) that have been effective for other Autopians in removing stains/spots from rubber. You might want to read thru some of those while you wait for other members to chime-in on this thread.

Also, I just noticed this thread (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30485) -- running about the same time as yours -- addresses the same problem and has more solutions offered. Check it out. :up