PDA

View Full Version : Using DACP often

imported_brerpie
12-01-2003, 09:46 PM
Hey all,

How many times can you use DACP with a PC before starting to have to worry about damaging the clear?

stilez
12-01-2003, 10:25 PM
Could you tell us why you would want to use DACP with a PC a lot?

As far as damaging the clear in general with a PC, it is hard to do.

imported_BretFraz
12-01-2003, 10:44 PM
The only way to know for sure is to measure paint film thickness. You need an electronic paint thickness meter for that. About $400.

Everything else is just a guess.

jimmybuffit
12-02-2003, 06:28 AM
Frequent use of an aggressive polish lke DACP *CAN* cause clearcoat failure. Even tho the PC doesn`t generate much in the way of torque/friction/heat, the polish is abrasive by itself. You remove some of the film build every time you use the product. Can`t go on for ever!

Polishes remove paint. That is their job.

Jim

imported_brerpie
12-02-2003, 08:32 AM
Because I am dealing with a car that is in really bad shape. 2 or 3 runs wont do any damage right?

I`m assuming it would take 30-40 times?

stilez
12-02-2003, 09:55 AM
2 or 3 runs and you`ll still be fine... What are you doing to prep the surface before that?

Wash

Clay

Rinse

Then DACP?

You will have to do a Finer Polish after that like Meguiar`s Swirl Free to make the finish have the ultimate shine. Good Luck with this, but I don`t think you`ll need 3 consecutive passes to make the surface condition improve, but I could be wrong.

Corey Bit Spank
12-02-2003, 07:59 PM
I`d imagine it would take a lot to go through the clearcoat, however you`re basically "leveling" out the swirl marks and what not. Therefor, going deeper and lower to get the perfect finish may not be the best idea. Just be happying with an improvement. I know I could not fix all the swirl marks on my mom`s black car. I guess one of the hardest parts of detailing is accepting that no finish is ever going to be perfect no matter how hard you work, unless you keep it in a bubble.

jimmybuffit
12-03-2003, 02:22 AM
You might be heading for trouble. Maybe not. What kind of car/age? Has it been buffed/polished in the past?

This is from AutoInt`s ValuGard website, regarding their Liquid Paint Correction Creme - which i regard as similiar to DACP:

"NEVER remove more that .3 mil of clear coat or premature paint film failure will occur. Liquid Paint Correction Cream is a controlled cut product. Each buffing pass at 1,750 rpm using the recommended pads will remove approximately .1 mil of paint. We recommend the use of an electronic paint thickness gage for this and other buffing and polishing operations. Order VG-116 ETG Gage."

The problem (that I`ve not seen addressed hereon th forum) is a potential `violation` of the surface layer of the clearcoat... the moleculear structure of the coating/clearcote is much `tighter` at the surface, and broader at the base. UV protection is at the surface, only. Buffing, of any sort, starts to degrade that protection.

We do not SEE that degradation as we work. But, over time, we will witness a dullness in the finish.

Beware. Be AWARE.

Jim

imported_brerpie
12-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Holy crap. That is making me poo my pants!

I`ve passed over the car once with DACP. It needs to go again with a yellow pad. I`m wondering if i should or not.

AndyC
12-03-2003, 10:05 AM
Me too! I`ve used #9 (albeit by hand) probably 3-5 coats plus various other mildly abrasive products.

Is there anyone who can clarify this? Without wanting to hijack this thread totally of course...

imported_brerpie
12-03-2003, 10:08 AM
BTW:

The car is a brand new 2003 vette. Was rubbed every day for the course of 4 months with a dirty carcover. (not washed in 4 months) :nono

togwt
12-03-2003, 10:31 AM
~One man’s opinion~

Perhaps this is a question that Mike Phillips would care to answer/enlighten us on

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect ~ question everything