PDA

View Full Version : Vette Overspray

Pages : [1] 2

BlueRanger
12-01-2003, 02:03 PM
So I go away to college and look what happens, my dad gets tar all over his(my) baby. What the heck can i use to get this off? Im having doubts about the clay bar, it seems pretty baked on there. Go get some bug and tar remover with a lot of elbow grease?

BlueRanger
12-01-2003, 02:05 PM
And btw, since I have been here and started looking at cars, HOLY COW, the orange peel on his vette is horendous. Its gettin the full treatment when i get home for XMAS break, DACP, Twins, with a PC, you get the idea.

QUESTION:What do you/can I use to clean out those wheelwells?

Jesstzn
12-01-2003, 03:23 PM
Go to the paint dept of the local hardware store and ger Mineral Spirits ( oil based house paint solvent) and saturate a rag with it and hold it on the tar to dissolve it. May take a few minutes but its better to allow it to soak than rub it cuz 10 to 1 the tar has grit in it. Once dissolved wipe softly. Mineral Spirits doesn`t have the toluene or Xylene that some tar and bug removers do. And has a very high flash point so it doesn`t evaporate off in use.

imported_Greg
12-01-2003, 04:08 PM
I`m not sure if it was implied in your post, but I wouldn`t expect to remove orange peel with a PC and some DACP.

BlueRanger
12-01-2003, 04:29 PM
O no, definitly not, i just never knew what it was until i got here, i was just commenting on how bad it was, as said by other vette people. Another clarification: Its not my car, i just take care of it, he lets me drive it on the weekends sometimes. (just so you dont think im a spoiled teenager) I drive a blue ranger actually, that i pay for. That mineral stuff sounds like a good alternative to clay, definitly gonna try that

Spilchy
12-01-2003, 04:40 PM
I have a had tremendous success with Stoners Tarminator. It melts the tar away before your eyes!

I follow up with clay after I have used Tarminator

imported_Greg
12-01-2003, 06:39 PM
Another Tarminator user right here. Pretty strong stuff, but it works well.

GoodnClean
12-01-2003, 08:25 PM
Yeah Tarminator should do a pretty good job with that. You might actually be surprised by how much comes off with just the wash.

For the wheel wells I usually just get up in there with an old beat up wash mitt and the carwash soap and scrub real good, then hit the plastic with something like Stoner`s Trim Shine or MSLT and they look great. If you want to do a more thorough job you can remove the wheels and really work in there well with a degreaser.

adrianko43
12-01-2003, 09:45 PM
to make those whell wells black again, you could just spray some armor all up there.

Jesstzn
12-01-2003, 10:11 PM
Curiosity question .. look at the bottle and tell me whats in the "Tarminator"

adrianko43
12-01-2003, 10:15 PM
i dont know, it doesnt say.

adrianko43
12-01-2003, 10:16 PM
oops sorry, you werent talking to me

imported_killerjg
12-01-2003, 10:50 PM
Another vote for Stoner`s.

Wheelwells, I like EF Hi Int..

Jesstzn
12-01-2003, 10:52 PM
Thats ok I asked Stoners for an MSDS doubt if they will respond .. stuff looked pretty wicked on their page.

it is a powerful cleaner which can be harmful to some plastics, adhesives, decals, or solvent-sensitive materials.

Gonzo
12-02-2003, 08:02 AM
Since you are going to do the "Full Monty" on the Vette, just go to Autozone and buy a couple of cans of Turtle Was Bug & Tar in the YELLOW AEROSOL can. I have used that stuff to remove drag slick spatter from all over tha back of my truck.