PDA

View Full Version : removing scratches in interior panels

harryp
09-09-2004, 08:27 AM
Any tips on effective ways to remove minor to medium deep scratches on an interior door or kick panels?

Beemerboy
09-09-2004, 09:13 AM
What are the panels made of? if they are plastic and schffed there is not much that you can do, as moost of the time its gone threw the color. If its black like from your shoes I use a APC and rub gentley. DO not spray directly on the panel. Spray on a towel then rub if that goes not work you can try laquer thinner but try an area that is not seen to see how the reaction to the color is.

Again what are they made of?

brwill2004
09-09-2004, 10:28 AM
You probably can not remove those scratches. Something abrasive might work, but probably will make it worse.

Ringo
09-09-2004, 10:58 AM
If they are scuff marks from shoes etc., use #00 steel wool and APC. This will not scratch the surface. If they are actual scratches, I`m not sure much can be done.

kimwallace
09-09-2004, 11:27 AM
One method I have used in extreme cases is to lightly sand the scratch and then purchase some interior paint (there is an interior paint code next to the exterior code on most cars) and dab it on with a cloth like an old tee shirt.
This will blend in with the textured look of the panel.
If it is smooth then you will have to spray the paint.
I have used lacquer thinner followed with Poorboys Natural Look too.
Sometimes the lacquer thinner will turn the plastic white though so test it in a hidden area first.

stainbuster
09-10-2004, 09:12 AM
You can also try APC and a Scotch Brite pad. Rub in the directrion of the scratches (like going with the grain). Follow up with #00, the paint with SEM paint if needed.