PDA

View Full Version : Waffle-weave, terry, or suede MFs for removing polishes??

imported_Jon P. Nusbaum
11-30-2003, 05:03 PM
For the past year and a half or so I have been using the regular terry-style MF towels for removing polishes/glazes/waxes. Recenty I was looking around the Autopia Store and saw that the "Ultimate Detailing Towels" were waffle-weaves. Here is the link: .http://www.autopia-carcare.com/mf-201.html The description mentions using them to remove waxes and using them for polishing. I have a large waffle-weave that I use for drying, but I have never tried buffing off polishes, etc. with it

Has anyone else tried this?

My waffle-weave towel isn`t clean or I`d go out and give it a shot right now.

One reason I am interested is that sometimes with glazes or real oily waxes, I find that the terry MFs grab the surface alot. I`m thinking the waffle weave might lessen this problem.

While were on the subject of MFs, I have not tried the suede ones` either. What are they good for? I would imagine a final wipe down, seeing as how they don`t have any nap to hold dirt. Are they good for polish removal? QDing?

Thanks for the help guys. This place rocks.

P.S. YES-I did a search for all of this stuff.

imported_BretFraz
11-30-2003, 05:32 PM
First off, thank you for searching. :up

I have not tried the Waffle Weave (WW) to remove wax or polish but its worth a try. Based on David`s description in the link you provided, it might have more "bite" than you want. For me the appeal of WW is their absorbency. An hour ago I was drying my truck with a Big Blue Towel (BBT) and noticed it was not as absorbent as a WW. I switched to the WW and was happier with the water removal.

As for suede MF`s, I have a couple but rarely use them. I`ve used them to remove carnauba or products like Zaino. But now I use DuPont Sontara SPS cloths and don`t use the suedes. I found the suedes need hand washing and for me that`s a PITA. And they were worthless for QDing. So, a towel with limited uses.

jkochis
11-30-2003, 07:17 PM
Not to change the subject, but Fieldcrest 100% cotton towels are my favorite polish/wax removal products. Just another (albiet, not hip/boutique/designer) option.

1andrews
12-01-2003, 01:56 AM
Fieldcrest opulance? Fieldcrest regency? which line?

k2dan
12-01-2003, 04:18 AM
Hi guys, I dont know if you have them in the US but I am using a super Soft Ultra Microfibre Cloth sourced locally here for polishing. It is a Tricot style? and incredibly soft.

It is brilliant for polishing. I use Standard Microfibre Cloths for interior and The Ultra Microfibre Super Softs for buffing/Polishing.

I personally dont like Waffles. I bought some from the US ( no one sells them here) and i find waffle very difficult to wring out and they subsequently streak. (when used as a drying towel)

Regards

Dan

bobdec
12-08-2003, 10:17 PM
I like the terry for wax removal. I use the sports towel size 25" x 25".

Have found that I prefer the ww for drying and use the 30" x 70". With this giant towel I can dry the whole car and van and still use it to dry off in the shower!

The suede is the best to keep in the car. They don`t pick up the junk and dirt like the terry and work great on my sunglasses. Also good for minor smudges, finger prints, and dust. Keep at least one 15" x 15" size handy in the glove box.

The 1/2 mf, 1/2 latex is the only thing I use on glass nowadays.

Hawkeye_TDI
12-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by emobob

Fieldcrest opulance? Fieldcrest regency? which line?

I use Filedcrest Charisma. No matter which MF I have used I get micro marring. Not so with cotton. Perhaps my technique is bad with the MF but I still like cotton and the Charisma line is the softest. Cost about thirty bucks for a large bath towel.

Bruce

Accumulator
12-10-2003, 11:47 AM
I use CMA`s suede-style MFs to remove SG and P UPP and TOL`s suede-style to remove both sealants and waxes. The CMA one is also good for windows.

For buffing off polishes, I use the regular terry-style MFs. I only use the waffle-weaves for drying.

Those of you who like Charismas had better stock up. Fieldcrest is out of business and the supply is dwindling.

AndyC
12-10-2003, 11:55 AM
I have a suede style MF which is excellent for glass, whether to remove a glass cleaner or used dry to wipe down glass after wiping with a damp "normal" MF (usually a cheap one).

I probably wouldn`t use it for wax or polish removal but that`s just one man`s opinion.

Hopefully, we`ll be getting AG MF`s in the UK soon and they are also very good.

togwt
12-10-2003, 12:20 PM
~One man’s opinion~

Cotton towels or Nylon (by product) Microfiber; try DF 100% cotton micro fibre towels (Autopia DF Alpine Towels)

Try them, they are the best mico fibre cloths I used to-date.

~Hope this is of some help~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

~ justadumbarchitect ~so I question everything

Autofiber.com
12-13-2003, 05:43 AM
This is a very common question when it comes to choosing microfiber for auto use.

There are many different types of microfiber and they all serve different purposes.

Here is my take and what I recomend to my customers.

Terry Towels (Autofiber.com Pro Detailing Towels) - These are the soft plush towels with a high pile. They work best for buffing/removing wax and polish residue. They also work well for QDing and interior work. They are the most common microfiber towels. These towels work good for this purpose because the long fibers pick up wax/polish residue, dirt and dust, pull it away from the paint, and hold it away from the paint.

Waffle-Weave Towels (Autofiber.com Maximum Drying Towels) - The weave on these towels look like a waffle, hence the name. They are the most absorbant towel, and so they work best for drying the car.

Suede Towels (similar but slightly different than Autofiber.com Ultimate Glass Towel) - These towels have a low pile (or no pile) and tend to work better for Glass and Mirrors than terry towels because the long fibers on the terry towels can often times leave streaks.

I have some great new products comming out this week end ( the Ultimate Glass Towel, and Micro-Restore Microfiber Detergent). So keep a look out.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions contact me at sales@autofiber.com or Toll Free at: (888) 657-AUTO .

http://www.autofiber.com