PDA

View Full Version : Swirl Solution? (Pic)

Pages : [1] 2

JayJayPG
11-30-2003, 04:17 PM
Hey guys,

I took the best picture I could of the swirl marks on the hood of my Eclipse. My GS-R never had this problem so I am new to the whole swirl removal process. I`ve done some searching, but I am still a little confused as to what products/procedure to follow.

So far I have dawn washed followed by Mothers clay, Vanilla Moose Glaze, and S100. Last week I test spotted with some Meguiar`s Showcar Glaze (#9 I think), but they are still showing.

I`m wondering if I could get by with just a swirl mark remover, but I don`t know if it is going to get the job done. Does this look like a job for DACP?

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/3621mvc-004f.jpg

stilez
11-30-2003, 04:33 PM
Mmmm... Doesn`t look healthy.

You can`t go wrong with DACP, but I highly suggest Meguiar`s Swirl Free Polish after the DACP pass. DACP leaves a level surface but it moves the paint and is to thick of a cut to finish up on. The Swirl Free realllly levels it out and makes it look amazing. Then proceed with your sealant or carnauba.

Are you planning on doing it with a machine? This would be a good time to invest in a Porter Cable or Makita Rotary...

Good Luck Jay.

adrianko43
11-30-2003, 06:29 PM
what do u mean that it is too thick of a cut to finish up on?

imported_RIC
11-30-2003, 06:34 PM
He means you will need a finer polish after using DACP. DACP does not leave your finish shiny and polished enough before applying your favorite sealant or wax.

LightngSVT
11-30-2003, 07:24 PM
How does Medium cut, fine cut (#9?) and SMR compare to DACP and SFP?

stilez
11-30-2003, 08:40 PM
Yeah Jay, what RIC said is what I meant.

DACP is a medium to high cut (moves paint, removes more serious blemishes)

SFP is a fine cut (removes very light swirling, leaves a glistening finish)

3M SMR does more filling of swirls then removing. Check out the Finesse It Series from 3M instead.

JayJayPG
11-30-2003, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

I have a Turtle Wax orbital buffer with foam, terry cloth, and lambs wool bonnets. Will that do the job or is it worth investing in the Porter Cable?

imported_rusty bumper
11-30-2003, 11:23 PM
I don`t know if you could buff out those swirls with an orbital machine...A PC would be a better choice.

CRXSi90
11-30-2003, 11:55 PM
Scottwax could get them out by hand. ;)

It`d probably be worth the investment in a PC regardless, but if you are a little hesitant, give it a try with your current buffer. I`d guess that wool bonnets would dig deeper and maybe create more haze that you could remove with that, so I`d start with the terry bonnet. If that doesn`t work, I suppose you could always try the wool in a test area though. Be prepared to spend some time, but less than by hand of course. ;)

Andre'
12-01-2003, 01:56 AM
Has your car been repainted?

JayJayPG
12-01-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Andre`

Has your car been repainted?

No I am pretty sure it hasn`t. The car sat on a dealer lot all summer long though.

stilez
12-01-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by GS-R Jay

No I am pretty sure it hasn`t. The car sat on a dealer lot all summer long though.

Damn dealer swirls. :mad: A Porter Cable or Rotary would do the trick with no problem. They look light enough that the PC should take them all away. It`s when the blemishes get worse that you need the rotary.

Good Luck with everything.

armoredsaint
12-01-2003, 03:59 PM
I always love the free option of the "Dealer Installed Swirls." That sucks dude, but a PC with Lake Country yellow pad and SMR will take care of that.

Gonzo
12-01-2003, 04:14 PM
Buy a PC - you will not regret it. I had a lot of the "fear factor" before I took my PC the my truck. Not to worry, because it would take a lot of deliberate abuse on you part to ruin your paint. Just remember that less is more, in terms of abrasiveness. Start with a pass or two of something less abrasive before moving up to something more abrasive. When you buy your PC, make sure you get at minimum, 2 of each pad kind. I got this advice from a "pro" on another forum when I bought a rotary

"In terms of pads, I believe it is better to have too many than not enough as you have no idea until you are into a detail which pad and product combination will do the desired job. Therefore, I would suggest:

1-2 Meguiar`s Cutting Pads W-7006

2-3 Meguiar`s Polishing Pads W-8006

2-3 Meguiar`s Finishing Pads W-9006

and they can be used with your PC as well."

When I bought my PC, I ordered the DAP-KIT from these people

http://www.properautocare.com/index.html

either choice is a decent starting point. There are other choices as well, with these people being the choice of many here

http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/foampads.html

I think I read somewhere that LC makes the pads sold by CMA.

Andre'
12-01-2003, 04:57 PM
To me it looks like that spot has been worked on. I see some odd looking orange peel, and the swirl marks look more like stress fractures than just plane swirls, however i could be wrong. give it a good polishing with the products and tools the others have suggested and see what happens, it may come out looking real good.