PDA

View Full Version : Qew

Pages : [1] 2

stevet
11-29-2003, 01:39 PM
I have used this stuff about 5 times now and I love it. It is changed how I maintain my car during winter months, no more trips to the coin wash and freezing my butt off. My big concern was marring but I haven`t noticed any and I have looked for it in all types of lite.

One thing that I am wondering about is the amount that Protectall instructs you to use. The directions on the bottle say to use one ounce per gallon and that one capfull is half an ounce. That means 2 capfulls = 1 ounce. I tested this and it doesn`t work out, 2 capfulls was about half an ounce.

Has anybody else noticed this? What amount should I use, 2 capfulls per gallon or an ounce per gallon?

I phoned protectall today and they are closed on weekends.

scottabir
11-29-2003, 01:41 PM
I use an ounce p/gal. that seems to work good for me.

stevet
11-29-2003, 01:49 PM
scottabir,

Are you using the cap to measure or something else?

scottabir
11-29-2003, 01:59 PM
Actually I have a little measuring cup I use that has a little mark on it. I put it on a scale and weighed out 1 ounce and then marked the cup.

Inzane
11-29-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by stevet

The directions on the bottle say to use one ounce per gallon and that one capfull is half an ounce. That means 2 capfulls = 1 ounce. I tested this and it doesn`t work out, 2 capfulls was about half an ounce.

What amount should I use, 2 capfulls per gallon or an ounce per gallon?

I remember from another thread that you said you bought the QEW in a large amount, maybe it was the 1 gal size? Perhaps the size of the caps are different between the 16oz and 1gal containers... :nixweiss

NOTE: I just went the kitchen to check mine. I have the 16oz bottle of QEW, and two capfulls filled a 1 oz shotglass.

BTW, back to actually using it, you mentioned not having to go to the coinwash. Maybe you guys in Ontario don`t have the amount of snow and crap on the roads that we in Alberta have already. And I haven`t actually tried my QEW yet, but I envision that I would still have to go to a coin wash (ie. wand wash) to clean the majority of the crap off BEFORE using QEW.

stevet
11-29-2003, 06:10 PM
Inzane,

I was thinking the same thing about the 1 gallon jug having a different cap. I have both the 1 gallon and 16oz bottles and the caps are different. I tried both caps, same results, 2 caps did not = 1 ounce.

Speaking of 1 gallon jugs, I went over the border yesteday to check out the U.S. Thanks Giving holiday sales. I was driving down a street and noticed an RV dealer. I went in to check for some QEW, I purchased two 1 gallon jugs. The cost, $27.05 U.S. after taxes for a 1 gallon jug. I get to the border on the way home and they ask if I have anything to declare, I tell them some car supplies and they send me on my way. No Canadian sales tax or duties:D

Bill D
11-29-2003, 06:12 PM
27.05 sounds like a very good deal, after shipping I think mine cost me $40 :(

stevet
11-29-2003, 06:23 PM
Bill D,

The place I purchased this at is called Colton Auto INC, 3122 Niagara Falls Blvd, North Tonawanda NY. The price on the sticker is $37.99 US. I asked if that was the best he could do and he said because it was off season he would give me a deal. $27.05 after taxes. I think I should have bought more than two jugs, but I already had some at home. I have enough to last a while now.

I still can`t figure out what is going on with the caps and this 1 ounce thing.

Inzane
11-29-2003, 08:04 PM

I tried both caps, same results, 2 caps did not = 1 ounce.

That`s too weird. It worked for me.

What are you actually measuring against? Do you have something else that`s reading by the ounce accurately?

Why not try a shotglass like I did? :nixweiss May not be the most accurate but eyeballing it, it was close enough for me.. When I checked yup 2 caps = ~ 1 oz. :xyxthumbs

Bill D
11-29-2003, 08:31 PM

Bill D,

The place I purchased this at is called Colton Auto INC, 3122 Niagara Falls Blvd, North Tonawanda NY. The price on the sticker is $37.99 US. I asked if that was the best he could do and he said because it was off season he would give me a deal. $27.05 after taxes. I think I should have bought more than two jugs, but I already had some at home. I have enough to last a while now.

Ah...off season, I wonder of dyersonline offers off season pricing as well, next time I`ll wait a little longer to get some qew.

imported_CBX Carl
11-29-2003, 09:50 PM
Camping World - Buy 3 Gallons of QEW = $84.97 Delivered. $28.33 Per Gallon Delivered.

Price 10% lower if you join their Club ($20.00 Annual Dues) , need to spend $200.00 annual to cover the cost of it.

Link To QEW (https://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=1857)

They also carry 303 Protectant.

Link to 303 (http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?prodID=1941)

One gallon of QEW & 303 = $82.94 Delivered.

stevet
11-29-2003, 09:54 PM
Inzane,

I have been using 4 gallons per wash. If you use 1 ounce per gallon than I need 4 ounces of qew. 1 cap is half an ounce so I need 8 capfulls to get 4 ounces. At this rate I should only get 4 washes per 16 oz bottle but after my fourth wash I had half a bottle left:nixweiss

tpgsr
11-29-2003, 10:22 PM
why are you using so much per wash?? I can do 2 not filthy cars with about 1.5 gallons (3 capfulls)

Scottwax
11-29-2003, 11:19 PM
I buy my QEW by the gallon, but I also bought a 16 oz bottle (and refill it from the gallon jug) since it takes up less space in my trunk so I have no idea if the cap sizes are the same, but I use 2 capfuls from the 16 oz bottle per gallon.

One gallon is more than enough unless the car is completely trashed.

ccreamer
11-30-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by scottabir

Actually I have a little measuring cup I use that has a little mark on it.

I put it on a scale and weighed out 1 ounce and then marked the cup.

This isn`t the right way to get an ounce. When they say to use one ounce, they are talking flui

d ounces, not weighted ounces.

A fluid ounce is the same amount no matter what type of fluid you are using where

a weighted ounce would vary in volume depending on the weight an

d density of the fluid (a weighted ounce of syrup would probably be less volume than a weighted

ounce of water).

Right?

Cory