PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor car cover on daily driver.

Paintxpert
11-28-2003, 09:48 AM
As of Dec 1st my car will now be kept outside on the drive daily.

(I`d love to use the garage still but its a no go due to job circumstances :( )

I`ve just bought myself a Tybond cover from here: http://www.classicadditions.co.uk/images/lightweight_waterproof.gif

Obviously I will need to take this off before work and put it back on when I come home.

Will I be ok doing this? The cover is speciall designed to breath so even if there is still rain on the car when I get home I think it should be ok :nixweiss

I have to have a cover to (a) prevent potential criminal damage (b) stop nextdoor neighbour`s cat walking all over it :shocked and (c) to protect it from Britain`s crappy year round weather

forrest@mothers
11-28-2003, 09:54 AM
Make sure you use a duster and quick detailer before applying the cover.

The link didn`t work for me, but I`m guessing from the name "Tybond" it`s a cover made of DuPont Tyvek, a plasticky thin material.

If so, it provides wonderful water protection, but very little ding protection since it`s so thin.

I use Evolution material from Kimberly Clark. It`s 4 layers thick (versus 1 for Tyvek) so there`s significant ding protection. NOAH is almost as good, at 3 layers, and it`s slightly less bulky than Evolution.

AndyC
11-28-2003, 09:56 AM
Nick,

Couldn`t open your link but I`d guess that if the cover`s breathable then you should be OK. Personally, I woulnd`t use it when the car`s dirty which kinda makes it awkward but I`d be worried about the cover moving around on a dusty surface and causing havoc with your paint.

As for the cat? got a few ideas but they`d upset the animal lovers, Autopian or not! Criminals? shoot `em all

Paintxpert
11-28-2003, 10:56 AM
Guys - try www.classicadditions.co.uk and go to the lightweight waterproof cover link.

Tbh putting the cover on whilst its a little dirty doesnt worry me.

The car gets cleaned weekly and between then the major areas of dirt that get picked up are on the lower panels.

The harming cats issue is a big :nono I love cats and have 2 of my own so anyone that hurts animals needs castrating :angry

BlueZ71
11-28-2003, 11:36 AM
One of the other problems with using a cover cover is that the Wheel dressing gets on the inside of the cover and then all over the car when you put in on and remove it. What a pain!

I ditched the cover and just use good protection instead.

Bill D
11-28-2003, 11:45 AM
I`ve been using both a Weathershield and a Noah together, absolutely no moisture entrapment issues. The rain rolls off the Weathershield, the Noah blocks any mositure that seeps in and provides extra paint protection and weight necessary to keep the cover stable in the elements. You can wash the Weathershield in a home washing washing too :up

As for stray cats or other creatures, a few years back something ripped holes in my gf`s Noah and must have crawled on my Noah an slid off :D with very minimal damage. We now use both covers, rain marks are virtually non existant except very minor after very heavy rain. The covers are a blessing during snowy weather too.

Absolute best investments I`ve made for my car.

AndyC
12-01-2003, 04:12 AM
Nick,

Got a cat and a dog too mate so sorry if I offended. Guess training them to keep off the car works for you....?

Richt
12-01-2003, 05:26 AM
Both my cars always live outside, when you get home and the cars dirty it makes you not want to cover it. Also the majority of time i get home the car is damp from the cold and wet. I have covers for the 306 and 205 and only use them at night if the car has been cleaned. I wouldnt ever put a cover on a wet car.