PDA

View Full Version : Ok... live in the boonies.. no 303 or Vinylex.. What to use?

Pages : [1] 2

Marc Hufnagel
11-26-2003, 07:21 PM
Hi

First real post, so I`ll try to make it worthwhile..

I live in Southern Illinois. We have Walmarts, Autozone, Oreilly, Rural King, etc.

I`ve looked high and low for 303 and Vinylex. Called boat shops, saddlery places, pro body shop suppliers, you name it. I thought I had found something in E1 Protectant, but none to be found here either, just other products of theirs.

We have no Pep Boys within 250 miles of here either.

I am wanting a nice water-based protectant for the dash and rubber trim pieces for a 1997 Nissan Maxima. I don`t really want to use AA of any kind unless they have something that isn`t potentially harmful.

The best I can find other than 303 or Vinylex is Meguiars #40 for 8.49

In the vast wasteland of quality products in my area, can someone perhaps recommend a nice water-based protectant (for dash, doors, rubber trim and maybe under the hood dressing?)

thanks for any help. I`m envious of you guys that can just go down the street or the highway and get the good stuff :) I`d like to pick something up locally rather than order over the .net and wait a week or more of course..

I`m leaning towards the #40 based on what I have read here, it`s water-based right?

Marc

C-MDX
11-26-2003, 07:31 PM
Why don`t you order them from CMA or autogeek??? I know there are more sites that sells them too.

Marc Hufnagel
11-26-2003, 07:33 PM
well, I`m just needing the one item, and from what I`ve seen I`ll pay 2/3 of the price in shipping. If I were getting a number of things that wouldn`t be as much a concern, but was hoping to spruce up the car a bit over the holiday weekend and all.

jimmybuffit
11-26-2003, 07:34 PM
I hesitate to point out the obvious, but the Internet is your friend...

Look for a supplier who offers a discount and free shipping... I *think* 4 Star has that until 11/30. Yeah, it takes a while, but you will get what you want. My wife would say, "If you`d ordered it a week ago when you started thinking about it, you`d have it by now!" I wouldn`t say that, but she would!

I live in a large metro area (2mil plus), and can only get 40% of what I want locally. CarBrite is based here, should I switch? Nahhh!

Order online. You pick the vendor. You`ll be quite happy in the long run.

Jim

Bruce
11-26-2003, 07:41 PM
I`ve seen Vinylex in hardware stores.

explorer
11-26-2003, 07:44 PM
Maybe you want to give Mothers Preserve Protectant a try , that is what I use and like a lot:xyxthumbs

You can buy Mothers products basically anywhere:wavey

Marc Hufnagel
11-26-2003, 07:46 PM
About the only place I haven`t tried is a True Value store, that`s an idea.. :)

Marc Hufnagel
11-26-2003, 07:53 PM
True Value is out.. Nothing other than AA.

I know rural king has the Mothers line of products, I might check that out.. 10% off everything tomorrow in the store, stock up time for a few items :)

MBZ 500E
11-26-2003, 10:12 PM
The Meguiars product works well so I wouldn`t fret if you don`t find anything else. It has the UV protection so it will keep your vinyl/plastics looking good. Itis a medium gloss product so if you don`t like this then you should hold out and buy something different.

Here in CA the Honda Dealers sell Vinylex so that may be another source to check. If you have an MB dealer nearby the MB Vinyl Care Product is the best I`ve ever tried. Not only does it have the UV protection, it`s low gloss, has gentle cleaners and smells like leather. I`m doing a writeup on this one soon. By the way the MB Vinyl Care is made by Meguiars but completely different than the Vinyl Rubber you see in the auto stores. Check it out.:up

Marc Hufnagel
11-26-2003, 10:23 PM
Sounds like I`ll be choosing between the #40 and the Mother`s Preserves.. I`ll check out the pricing on the Mothers tomorrow at that 10% off price and see how big the bottle is and go from there. Or maybe get both and see which one I like better :) I might check the Honda dealer next Monday too.. heh.

thanks for your input.

Marc

imported_The Uncle
11-27-2003, 03:03 AM
www.carcrazy.net has 303 and Vinylex at good prices. If you buy $25.00 of stuff, shipping is free.

AkronSi
12-01-2003, 09:11 AM
If you have ACE hardware stores around you, I`d check them out. I think I remember seeing 303 there before.

imported_CBX Carl
12-01-2003, 11:32 AM
Local Motorcycle Shop had S100 & 303.

Marc Hufnagel
12-01-2003, 11:49 AM
Got a wild hair and yelled "road trip" at the wife and kids at 10am on a Sunday morning... Went to a Pep Boys in Evansville Indiana. (112 miles one way, next closest one is 310 miles away near Chicago) Scored some Vinylex and the Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner combo. :)

Picked up some Mothers Preserves at that 10% off sale @ Rural king.

Now to see which one I like and get my leather all cleaned up :)

silk27106
12-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Why didn`t you just order Zaino16? They ship to you.