PDA

View Full Version : What kind of prep work for new car?

DefBringer
11-24-2003, 11:52 PM
Hi,

Just bought a new car. I think it`s been on the dealer lot for about 2 months. When I bought it they waxed it up with something greasy. it looks nice, but doesn`t seem very durable.

Can I just wash the car with Dawn and start from scratch or do I need to do anything else to prep it for waxing? The paint looks great right now, I just want to get a nice coat of something (still not sure what) on the car to protect it from the Kansas winters.

Don`t know if this matters, but it`s black clearcoated Mitsubishi (read: garbage) paint.

Scottwax
11-25-2003, 12:08 AM
Deffy! You brought back teh fatman! :lol

Don`t bother with a Dawn wash unless you want to use Zaino. Regular car wash soap and a good polish will prep the surface properly. If the car sat on the lot at all, you will probably need to use a clay bar. Most dealers use dionized water to wash the cars on the lot which means the cars will air dry spot free and it saves labor (no hand drying), but while the cars are still wet, dust, pollen and whatever else is floating through the air lands on the car and sticks. If after washing your car, the paint does not feel glass smooth, clay first.

Go through the product discussion forum, autopia university and detailing forums to get an idea of the different products used and their pros and cons. That ought to help you make a more informed decision on what to use on your car.

BTW, if you have cloth seats, don`t ever spill anything on them. Mitsubitshi seats stain very easily!

C-MDX
11-25-2003, 12:58 AM
Is the paint smooth as glass??? If not than clay it.

Accumulator
11-25-2003, 10:14 AM
DefBringer- Welcome to Autopia! I`ve been doing my new cars with both clay and AutoInt`s ABC system. Although I was sorta leery about the ABC (especially the "acid" part!), it`s worked out VERY well for me. It IS made for prepping new cars. I clay during the "B" step while the "B" is dwelling on the surface.

Try a search on the ABC, there`ve been a LOT of posts about it. I`ve tried it on three new cars so far: `02 WRX, `03 MPV, and even my `02 S8. Heh heh, FWIW, I`m pretty careful about what I use on the S8.

randy98mtu
11-25-2003, 01:11 PM
Mmmm. Evo. I did Klasse AIO + 3 SG coats on my black WRX so far. Either going to do another coat of SG then P21S or just go to P21S this weekend. Hopefully I`ll get one nice day every 3-5 weeks during the winter so I can wash it good and refresh the P21S.

togwt
11-25-2003, 01:25 PM
~One man’s opinion~

Good advice Scottwax(as usual)

This is ‘sorta ‘kinda related, where did the idea of using a kitchen detergent like dawn for preparing vehicles for detailing come from (urban legend, Zanio Bros)?

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect

TortoiseAWD
11-25-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

This is ‘sorta ‘kinda related, where did the idea of using a kitchen detergent like dawn for preparing vehicles for detailing come from (urban legend, Zanio Bros)?

It stems mostly from Zaino`s directions, I think.

Zaino needs bare paint (no oils or waxes) to make the best bond (which gives the most durability). IMO, Sal needed to recommend something that was easily available to the end user that could do the job of a degreaser. He put it into the Z instructions, and it spread from there. The key, I believe, was that it had to be something easily available, and safe for occasional use. Dawn fit the bill, and the rest is history.

Now, that said, there are (IMO) better products for prepping paint for Zaino (or other "pure" polymer sealants). I use Hi-Temp`s Prep-Solve, which is a paint-safe solvent. Spray on liberally, wipe to form wet film, allow to dry, and remove any residue with a dry towel. The stuff makes very short work of tar and sap, so I have no doubt that it chews through wax and oils in fine fashion when used as a de-waxer/de-greaser. It`s also easier than washing again after a polishing step.

I honestly don`t understand why Zaino doesn`t just package something like Prep-Solve to sell along with their other products. It works better than Dawn, and has the advantage of being designed for use on paint . . . they could label it Z-42 and sell it at a markup :D

Tort

spetulla
11-25-2003, 04:14 PM
Scottwax, at the dealership I worked at we used dionized water but we did dry them afterwards. Just food for thought.

<--- 97lstegra btw deffy. Luv ur car.

Scottwax
11-25-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by spetulla

Scottwax, at the dealership I worked at we used dionized water but we did dry them afterwards. Just food for thought.

That isn`t the case around here, sadly. I have several dealerships near me (including Moritz Cadillac and BMW) and I see them washing the cars every few days. One guy out there with a pressure sprayer, rinsing them off. He moves on to the next car and keeps rinsing. Never seen anyone dry them and I was at Moritz one day for about an hour when the local news/talk station had a promo.

Jesstzn
11-25-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by TortoiseAWD

It stems mostly from Zaino`s directions, I think.

I honestly don`t understand why Zaino doesn`t just package something like Prep-Solve to sell along with their other products. It works better than Dawn, and has the advantage of being designed for use on paint . . . they could label it Z-42 and sell it at a markup :D

Tort

If Prep-Solve ( or any like products ) has any of the Hazardous Chemicals lables on it Zaino prolly thought it less likely he would get sued from accidents arising from the use of Dawn. If he packaged it he may be laible.

JayJayPG
11-25-2003, 11:36 PM
Def!

I remember talking to you on off-topic.net from my college days at KU. Where did you get your Evo at? Didn`t you used to have an RX-7? My GS-R was stolen a few months ago and I am now also driving a Mitsu product (2000 GT Eclipse). The paint quality doesn`t really seem all that great compared to the GS-R, but I am going to try out some products before winter hits to hopefully restore it back to my standards. Hope all is well.

DefBringer
11-26-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by GS-R Jay

Def!

I remember talking to you on off-topic.net from my college days at KU. Where did you get your Evo at? Didn`t you used to have an RX-7? My GS-R was stolen a few months ago and I am now also driving a Mitsu product (2000 GT Eclipse). The paint quality doesn`t really seem all that great compared to the GS-R, but I am going to try out some products before winter hits to hopefully restore it back to my standards. Hope all is well.

I think as long as we take care of our paint, we should be ok! :D

I bought my Evo at McCarthy Mitsu in Olathe. Yeah, I used to have a 94 RX-7 (and a Supra afte that). I`m just a sucker for fast cars! :D

JayJayPG
11-26-2003, 07:20 PM
I remember seeing that black Evo at McCarthy when I was shopping for my GT :D

Did you look at the WRX at all?

I`ve seen a few other Evo`s driving around in the KC area.

jimmybuffit
11-26-2003, 07:59 PM
In a perfect world, ValuGard`s A-B-C system, clay while the `C` is still in place. Dry the car completely. Now`s the time for intense, Autopian scrutiny in sunlight, or mulitiple halogens.

Make a plan based on what you see.

Come back here with questions, after you`ve taken advantage of the search engine.

Nice Ride. Couldn`t wait for a VW R32?

Jim

unstable Vic
11-28-2003, 07:24 AM
If your a sucker for fast cars, buy one. CAMARO Z28!!! Jusr kidding....best of luck to you with your new ride, vic