PDA

View Full Version : 2 Hours with Prestone Synthetic.

Patrick
11-24-2003, 12:01 AM
I wrote Prestone several weeks ago, with an inquiry about their new synthetic wax. Several days later, I had a $3.00 coupon in my mailbox. So off to Pep Boys today, to make the big $3.50 purchase. Ya see, Im a synthetic fanatic, so I have to try everything i can get my hands on.

I wrote them, because I was curious if their product had any cleaners in it. There response was no, it was just a sealant, a synthetic sealant. The ingredients tell me otherwise, but I wont hold it against them. (She just may not have known, nor did she think an Autopian would get his hands on it) I washed up the ol Ford Taurus today, a 2000, white, with a decent finish for Ford, no orange peel if ya know what I mean Ford owners. No major swirls, no major scratches. So here goes my Prestone review:

I used my Porter Cable with a yellow Megs pad, on "4.5" for application, then "6" for working the product in and around. Prestone has a slight solvent smell to it, thus implying cleaning properties, albeit minimal, but nonetheless, it does have some cleaning ability. The first thing I noticed was its lack of "oilyness", unlike Blackfire and Platinum. It spreads fairly well, but not like the above mentioned products. You would probably use twice as much Prestone as you would BF or Plat, due to its lack of mega oils. However theres a trade off, no smearing. Again, another trade off, it doesnt remove like polymers im familiar with, its more like S100, where as if you let it haze up, it can be more difficult to remove. I had some difficulty finding "just the right amount", and I think this was due to its lack of oils. Some areas, were slightly difficult to remove with a MF do to too much product. I cant fault the product, just the applier (me). The product states to let haze, then remove, and I did just that. With the exception of areas where there was too much, it came off fairly effortlessly. It left an excellent shine, and thats about all you can do with white. Very glossy, very white, just what i had expected. Theres no powdery residue, and its not black plastic friendly, at least on my side mirrors. The surface felt very smooth and slick, and without an oily residue. I even had a neighbor fellow compliment me on the results, little did he know this was a first time product trial, under Autopian scrutiny......

So a quick wrap up...on a scale of 1-5.

1:bad 2:below avrg 3:average 4:above avg 5:Very good

Cost: $6.50, minus $3.00 coupon

Smell: Slight petroleum, not bad.

Ease of use: 4.0 (S100)

Ease of removal: 4.0 (#20)

Filling ablility: 0 (Doesnt claim to fill)

Cleaning: 2.0 (Doesnt claim to clean)

Shine: 4.5 (like #20)

Slick ? yes

Would I buy again ? Too soon to tell

Will I use again ? Definetely

Would I use on other than my own car ? Yes

Would I recommend to others ? Yes

All in all, a pretty decent product, worth the $6.00 or so, ive been waiting to try since it came out, it has had some other reviews on Autopia, some of them lacked proper prep or apllications process resulting in less than favorable results. My car was pretty good to go so I went right with the Prestone application, and got what I expected.

Hope this is of help to all

ntoddalbert
11-24-2003, 07:23 AM
Must not be selling very well, its in the half price bin at the Local R&S Strause here

stilez
11-24-2003, 07:54 AM
Hmm for $3.50 it got a nice rating. I will take your word for it. Maybe a good customer product. Thanks for the review and keep us posted on how well it holds up. Thanks!

CRXSi90
11-24-2003, 12:49 PM
Just out of curiosity, have you ever done a similar test with some turtle-wax stuff? It seems to me that in the right hands, just about any product can be decent.

Might want to add your review to the Reviews part of autopia...

http://www.autopia.org/review/censura.php?cmd=details&itemid=290

Patrick
11-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Never tried the TW, im pretty much a synthetic man......

CRXSi90
11-24-2003, 01:55 PM
TW super hard shell seems to talk about it`s advanced silicone polymers...:rolleyes

The finish 2001 stuff talks about some other polymers...reportedly this stuff is kinda similar to Nu Finish.

I`m not trying to convince you to go out and buy some other product to try, it`d probably be a waste of your time.

My current theory is that most products you can buy at stores in the right hands won`t fair too poorly. I suppose since you are a synthetic man, you value the durability of a synthetic and only proper chemical engineering can do that, so in that case only the best products can achieve that.

Patrick
11-24-2003, 03:02 PM
I havent abolished Carnaubas entirely ! I still use them, but just as a topper......There are excellent synthetics out there, and i can do side by sides all day, and the majority of folks wont be able to tell a difference. So, why not use them, they last considerably longer. Unless the products states "Synthetic" in big bold letters, I probably wont go near it.

My current theory is that most products you can buy at stores in the right hands won`t fair too poorly. You are ENTIRELY correct.................