PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use Edge 100% lambswool on a rotary to cut paint?

wifehatescar
09-08-2004, 10:16 AM
If so what products did you use with it at what stage of a detail?

I have tried all their foam pads and their "blend" wool pads (blue, green, yellow)

The foam pads wander alot on the paint if the panel is not flat and the blend wool pads marr the paint. I was looking at the 100% wool pad as something to use with moderate polishes (ssr2/2.5) on my rotary.

I know the Edge does not recommend 100% wool for swirl removal, but I also know PB Steve (I think) does use 100% wool for cutting/swirl removal.

Beemerboy
09-08-2004, 11:03 AM
I use wool on single stage paint to remove the top layer. On CC cars you could but it pretty hot heat and will cut big time. I used light cut compound for the cutting and it worked like a charm. You have to real careful with wool as it wil cut threw the single stage paints if you hit the edges in the wrong way.

wifehatescar
09-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Foam makes more heat than wool so I`m not sure on your one statement?

According to The Edge, the 100% wool is for finishing use and is very mild. Others seem to think 100% wool is very aggressive. I`m looking for something "in-between" that would be an alternative to using foam pads to remove swirls. And as I stated earlier, the blend wool pads seem to be too aggressive for that.

I also need to stress I am talking about their 100% wool "fine finishing" pad. I am not talking about more aggressive blend wool pads. *I think* there is a big difference there.

Beemerboy
09-08-2004, 12:57 PM
That interesting I`ve always used wool for cutting. I also have foam cutting pads but wool has always been the choice for cutting.

wifehatescar
09-08-2004, 01:39 PM
What type of wool do you use? A blend or 100% lamb? Does it leave swirls/marring for you?

Again, I`ve used the blend wools before but they seemed to leave a bunch of self induced defects behind.

NYV6Coupe
09-08-2004, 03:32 PM
Perhaps this product wouldn`t meet your needs but the 8" LC tufted pads might be what your looking for as an in-b-tween pad.

Aaron@IAP
09-08-2004, 03:59 PM
When you say 100%wool you must specify if its tufted wool yarn or 100% lambswool which is the actual skin and hair from the animal. 100% tufted wool yard is 4ply twisted and is very agressive. The blended pads use percentages of man made acrylic to soften the pad for less cutting. The Lambswool is very soft and has almost no cutting ability only polishing. Of course it depends on what you also use as your chemical. If you use a very gritty compound with lambswool it will cut and leave alot of swirls and scratches as well. All foam pads will grip the surface of paint because foam is like rubber and has alot of friction and grab. Wool will slide more easily on the paint. Technique and chemical will provide you with a perfect finish.

brwill2004
09-08-2004, 05:33 PM
You should always follow a wool pad with a foam pad to remove swirls or marring caused by the wool pad. I am not sure about Edge, but Lake Country makes a good wool cutting/polishing pad. The wool pads to stay away from have twisted yarn, and are made for heavy cutting.

usdm
09-08-2004, 11:20 PM
I`m just starting to learn rotary use, and I have to admit, there is a bit of a learning curve. You do have to be very careful, otherwise, you have big problems

That said, I have to say that I really do prefer the feel of a wool pad over foam. I find that I have better control, and I can get more of the pad flat on the surface than I can with foam

As for introducing swirls, I think it is safe to say that you could do it with either type of pad; case in point, my very own car. It was done totally with foam pads, and I able to induce lots of swirls. At the same token, I was able to knock out some scratches on a friend` car with a wool pad that came with the rotary, and by just cleaning off the pad, and using different product and rotary speed, I was able to buff out and go straight to wax with minimal swirling.

Also, from what I now understand about foam (contrary to wool of the same type), it appears to get more agressive as it gets
finer. By this I mean, a foam finishing pad can actually generate more heat than a wool pad used for finishing detail. So now when I use my rotary or the Mak in forced rotation, I try to use the foam with chemical stuff, and use the wool for mechanical stuff. Depending on the situation, I also mix and match. And if I`m wrong and still get swirls, I just defer to the PC or the Mak d/a.