PDA

View Full Version : Need help selecting flourescent lighting

Jon718
11-23-2003, 12:20 PM
Hi everyone,

I`ve been trying to decide which type of lighting to get, I`ve been looking on Home Depot`s web site and have yet to decide which is the ideal type of fixture to get. Can someone help me?

My garage is 20 ft wide 10 ft hight and has dark concrete flooring. I would prefer something that can not only illuminate my garage but allow me to see all the swirls and scrathces.

I`m hoping to get 3 fixtures parallel with my car btw

Thanks

Heres a link to HD`s site:

HOME DEPOT LIGHTS (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1469710625.1069608194@ @@@&BV_EngineID=ccefadcjmildiejcgelceffdfgidgjm.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=Products_2/Lighting%20%26%20Fans&MID=9876&pos=n12)

Redcar GUY
11-24-2003, 06:17 PM
I cant add more than what these 2 garage hounds have already said,:) Just remember..... the more light the better.. :)

jimmybuffit
11-24-2003, 07:20 PM
I just upgraded my T8s to 5100K... Ultgar hits it again!

IMHO one needs both fluorescent and halogens (at least) to see swirls and other imperfections.

Jim

luke667
11-25-2003, 09:27 PM
beautiful garage man, got any more pics?

Jon718
11-25-2003, 10:55 PM
Thanks a lot for the input guys! I will be visiting HD tomorrow and takng a look at the selections you guys gave me., I am just soooooo fed up with using my light situation that I must get these installed ASAP!!!

Young_Stallion
11-29-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by ultgar

We just put some more halogens in the garage today....there are 13 Par30 (75w), 12 MR16 (50w) and a dual tube T5 florescent in this small 20x20 bay along with a big window and skylight. Reflective tile surface doesn`t hurt either. SDhttp://www.ultimategarage.com/garage1125d.jpg

OMG. One of the nices garages I have ever seen. Please send TONS OF pics of everything in it :bow

Young_Stallion
11-29-2003, 08:48 PM
Can you show pictures of the entire garage as well as items in it? That is amazing.

I want my parents to give me money to redo the floors, walls, everything basically. Our garage is nasty...even after I cleaned it, painted the walls and flooring.

I need new floors like you have...new drywall for walls and cealings, good lights, tool cabinets and shelving and it will be sweet.

Please more pictures. Absolutly insane.

Accumulator
12-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Jon718- As everyone is saying, you really should just OVERKILL the lighting. Like Ultgar, I don`t rely on fluorescent lights for swirl-spotting. Incandescents and/or halogens work MUCH better for me; I just can`t see light swirls, let alone micro marring, under fluorescents. Fluorescents are, of course, great for general illumination.

If at all practical, mount some of the fluorescents on the walls, it really makes it easier to see what you`re doing on the sides of your vehicle.

Ultgar- Heh heh, that garage of yours is really something. Those look like FACOM tools, too (I just sent back a jammed 3/8 ratchet of theirs, GRRRR...). Nice to see something so well thought out and nicely done.

scottabir
12-02-2003, 01:09 PM
Also, pick up a couple of 500 watt halogen tower lights. They are really pretty cheap, and will really expose surface imperfections

Menards the other day had these for $4.95 each :D

Jon718
12-02-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Jon718- As everyone is saying, you really should just OVERKILL the lighting. Like Ultgar, I don`t rely on fluorescent lights for swirl-spotting. Incandescents and/or halogens work MUCH better for me; I just can`t see light swirls, let alone micro marring, under fluorescents. Fluorescents are, of course, great for general illumination.

If at all practical, mount some of the fluorescents on the walls, it really makes it easier to see what you`re doing on the sides of your vehicle.

Ultgar- Heh heh, that garage of yours is really something. Those look like FACOM tools, too (I just sent back a jammed 3/8 ratchet of theirs, GRRRR...). Nice to see something so well thought out and nicely done.

I agree, I definitely don`t want to skimp out and the fact is its better to get overdo it then under as it will just waste more time. Being that its 25 degrees over here in NY I will have to take this endeavor in the spring.

Redcar GUY
12-02-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Jon718

Being that its 25 degrees over here in NY I will have to take this endeavor in the spring.

No no no no no.......... Get a heater! Time is tickin away ;)

jimmybuffit
12-03-2003, 01:36 AM
With enough hologens, you won`t need a heater!

Jim

Redcar GUY
12-03-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by jimamary

With enough hologens, you won`t need a heater!

Jim

true true..

togwt
12-03-2003, 10:25 AM
I talked with an lighting consultant and he`s in agreement with Accumulator et al

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect ~ question everything

kevin marks
12-08-2003, 09:41 PM
Where`s a good place to obtain the 5100k or 6500k T-8s?

Thanks,

Brian