PDA

View Full Version : Do you think I did any damage with 303?

imported_NHBFAN
11-23-2003, 09:40 AM
Yesterday I went outside with the intent of wiping down the black plastic in my engine compartment with 303. Was planning on cleaning the plastic air filter housing and black plastic fan shroud.

But, I got a little carried away. Started wiping down everything with 303, e.g. the battery, hoses, etc ...

Do you think it`s safe to apply 303 to hoses and stuff?

BoxsterCharlie
11-23-2003, 09:43 AM
Absolutely. Its good for them. Probably stay away from belts, though. :)

imported_CBX Carl
11-23-2003, 09:44 AM
I do the same and believe that 303 is safe.

Bill D
11-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Only thing I`ll use in my engine compartment and all my vinyl and rubber

imported_memnuts
11-23-2003, 11:33 AM
Probably no harm done. I also detail hard plastic components of the engine compartment.

No need for UV protection under the hood for fluid hoses. I personally just wipe fluid hoses with a damp rug for the natural look and to insure normal life-span.

Function over appearance. :wavey

huangdong28
11-23-2003, 11:39 AM
Actually, what you did is RECOMMENDED by 303. Here`s what they post at:

http://www.303products.com/techinfo/automotive/hoses.htm

=============================

Main Categories: Automotive: Detailing

Save your Engine Hoses

Anyone who looks under the hood of their own car knows how oily and filthy the engine components can get. Because of grease, oils, fluids and the ozone generated by the engine during operation, radiator and A/C hoses, belts, CV boots and other rubber pieces often have to be replaced prematurely. These replacements are annoying at best and always inconvenient - not to mention expensive.

Also, with a dirty engine it is difficult to tell if your vehicle is losing fluids.

303 Aerospace Protectant used in the following manner is an excellent way to maintain and extend the life your under-the-hood rubber and plastics at the same time keeping the entire under-the-hood area looking like new.

First, clean the engine. Your can do this at home, or perhaps more conveniently at a self-help Car Wash. First spray the engine with a degreaser. After the recommended time, use the high pressure hose to wash down and away grease, oil and accumulated dirt. Wipe up pooled water with old towels (or blow it away with an air hose) removing most of the water.

Then spray 303 Aerospace Protectant liberally to entire engine compartment, covering the rubber, plastic and painted surfaces. If you have an air hose, blow excess 303 down through the engine and dry surfaces completely with dry, clean, absorbent cloths to remove excess. If you don`t have an air hose, let 303 stand for 5 min. then dry all surfaces. CAUTION: Use care to avoid getting water into distributor or unsealed electronic components.

A beautiful, perfectly clean engine! The 303 repellent will keep your engine looking great for months. And when your entire engine compartment finally needs cleaning again it`ll just take you a few minutes to keep your engine components looking new.

=============================

I also use this technique on the interior - blowing the 303 out of the crevices eliminates about 90 percent of the wipedown.

imported_memnuts
11-23-2003, 05:26 PM
From 303`s statement: Anyone who looks under the hood of their own car knows how oily and filthy the engine components can get. Because of grease, oils, fluids and the ozone generated by the engine during operation, radiator and A/C hoses, belts, CV boots and other rubber pieces often have to be replaced prematurely. These replacements are annoying at best and always inconvenient - not to mention expensive.

Also, with a dirty engine it is difficult to tell if your vehicle is losing fluids.

That`s a great selling point if you allow the engine compartment to become filthy. None of my engines suffer from this self dirting feature that 303 talks about and I clean my engine as anallyl as I do the interior,trunk and exterior. Even my daily driver. This way if something does appear filthy I can detect ( visually and olefactory ( smell)) if it`s oily, watery, coolant, refrigrant, etc. JMO

MBZ 500E
11-24-2003, 01:34 PM
Protecting the hoses and plastic definitely won`t hurt the engine components.

I follow the same regimen as BLKZ28. After every drive the first thing I do is pop the hood to let the engine cool, it also helps remind me that I need to inspect and wipe down the engine. I use FD and a MF and occassionaly medical swabs. It`s amazing how much dust/grime collects in the engine bay in 500 miles of use.:eek: