PDA

View Full Version : Novus is nothing special

tholden1
11-23-2003, 02:10 AM
I tried the Novus product on my headlights. From what I could tell, the Novus #1 is just a regular plastic cleaner. Probably Plexus would be as good if not better. Novus #2 is just a fine-rubbing compound. It did no better than 3m Perfect-it fine rubbing compound. It seemed to look and go on the same also. Novus #3 is a mild abrasive. Perhaps it is similar to aluminum polish. It is probably just as abrasive as toothpaste.

Overall, I am not impressed. I am better off with my 3m fine-cut rubbing compound instead of Novus #2. I can buy some Plexus instead of #1. And I would not use #3 since I find wet-sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper to be more effective.

At $9 at The Container Store for the kit containing 2oz each of #1, #2, #3 it is not too bad if you don`t want to buy the big bottles seperately. However, the 16oz 3m rubbing compound is $10 at Pep Boys. If the #2 was $3 for 2oz then that would mean that 16oz would be $24. If you plan on using this stuff for a lot of projects then it is better off just buying the regular stuff in the big bottles. IMHO.

Bill D
11-23-2003, 10:32 AM
I have it too, thought it was ok, not terrific. We really need a breakthrough plastic/headlight polish.

Jesstzn
11-23-2003, 11:36 AM
I thought this was a pretty good thread

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28681&highlight=headlights

Pats300zx
11-23-2003, 12:56 PM
Sorry to hear that you didn`t like it. I love Novus. I think it works great and I use the #1 all the time on my show car.

I have compared it to the Megs Plastic Polish and I find Novus to be much better.

GoodnClean
11-23-2003, 02:46 PM
I saw those handy little bottles of Novus at the container store (my fiance loves that store, its like a 5 year old in Toys R Us :rolleyes: )and thought that would be the best way to try them. Haven`t yet, but I think the praise here is worth $9 for a shot at them even with the negative remarks...

Is it possible that those in the container store could be different from what other members have used? Maybe they`re milder and more designed to clean the store`s soft plastic containers? Because I can`t find those little bottles anywhere but there. They must have been bottled specifically for the container store.

I have Plexus and I have the Megs plastic polish and find the Megs to be wanting. The Plexus is great for cleaning the guage pods, headlights and such. My car has those electroluminescent gauges and they highlight all smears and smudges on the plastic.

Bill D
11-23-2003, 02:51 PM
I have the three bottle sample set if thats the small bottles you are referring to. Got mine from spadepot.com

GoodnClean
11-23-2003, 02:55 PM
Nevermind then lol

tholden1
11-23-2003, 07:29 PM
http://www.novuspolish.com/shop/shop-select-qty.cfm?productNum=157&typenum=15&cfid=2363238&cftoken=36049025

It`s the same stuff. Just without the cloths and brochure.

Originally posted by GoodnClean

I saw those handy little bottles of Novus at the container store (my fiance loves that store, its like a 5 year old in Toys R Us :rolleyes: )and thought that would be the best way to try them. Haven`t yet, but I think the praise here is worth $9 for a shot at them even with the negative remarks...

Is it possible that those in the container store could be different from what other members have used? Maybe they`re milder and more designed to clean the store`s soft plastic containers? Because I can`t find those little bottles anywhere but there. They must have been bottled specifically for the container store.

I have Plexus and I have the Megs plastic polish and find the Megs to be wanting. The Plexus is great for cleaning the guage pods, headlights and such. My car has those electroluminescent gauges and they highlight all smears and smudges on the plastic.

tholden1
11-23-2003, 07:32 PM
#1 is not bad but I think it is expensive compared to Plexus. I haven`t tried Plexus yet but everyone swears by it.

I`ll keep in mind to try something other than the Megs Plastic Polish.

Originally posted by Pats300zx

Sorry to hear that you didn`t like it. I love Novus. I think it works great and I use the #1 all the time on my show car.

I have compared it to the Megs Plastic Polish and I find Novus to be much better.