PDA

View Full Version : First time for full detail - please review my plan

BlueZ71
11-22-2003, 01:07 PM
I have been reading Autopia for months now and have collected lots of great information about what to use, how, etc. I recently purchased a bunch of product. I`m going to detail my wife 2002 inferno red Dodge MV tomorrow using the following plan. Any comments would be greatly appreciated so I don`t screw it up to bad.

Step 1 - Wash with Meguiar`s Gold Class using a 100% wool sponge and PakShak MF towel. Dry with PakShak WW towel.

Step 2 - Clay using Clay Magic Kit (clay and lube). The paint does feel somewhat gritty.

Step 3 - Not sure this car needs this, but it looks to have slight swirls from drying with crap towels. Should I use A, B or C? What speed should I bee using with my 7336 PC.

A) Apply DACP with Lake Country yellow pad. What speed?

B) Meg`s #9 Swirl remover with Lake Country white pad. What speed?

C) Meg`s # 82 Swirl Free Polish with Lake Country white pad

Step 4 - Polish using Meg`s Hand Polish (this # 81 right?)

Step 5 - Wax with Klasse AIO.

Step 6 - Seal with Klasse SG (3 coats)

Step 7 - Should I add Poor boy`s EX over the top?

Rims - Clay magic and Eagle One Nevr-Dull - I think the wheels may have a factory coating on them - will this hurt that?

Tires - Meg`s High endurance. Let sit 30 minutes and wipe off.

Wheel wells - what should I use?

Windows - Clay and then Stoners IG

Inside trim - 303 cleaner and 303 protectect or should I use New Again (black jack)?

Carpet - Meg`s APC+, What`s the best way to use this?

Exterior Trim - 303 cleaner and protectant or Black Again?

Please let me know what route to take on all this. I apologize if I mistated something.

Sorry for the long post.

Blue

Robb
11-22-2003, 01:29 PM
Sounds great, as to your 3rd step, you should use the least abrasive first, which would be Meg`s #9 Swirl remover with Lake Country white pad, i would personally change to the yellow pad, because the white pad is not very aggressive IMO, so if the 9 and yellow pad doesnt take out most of the swirls, then you can always step up to DACP and yellow, if there are bad swirls id prolly go on speed 5.5 or so, that should take out most of them. As for the fender wells, i would use something cheap, maybe the new Armor All, just something to get them a little blacker and looking good. The rest of your process seems great, and you have some wonderful products and i hope the results are great for you. Oh, one more thing, make sure to wait about 24 hrs before you top the Sg if you decide to at all, that step is up to you, if you dont like the reflectivity of the klasse you can always add the ex and make it `softer` and have more depth. Best Of Luck

BlueZ71
11-22-2003, 01:42 PM
Thnaks - that`s the kind of advice I need.

Blue

BlueZ71
11-22-2003, 04:59 PM
Any other help out there?

70fastback
11-22-2003, 09:17 PM
If you`re gonna clay, save yourself some time and don`t worry about drying after wash . Jump right into claying.

For wheel wells, I like Stoner`s Trim Shine.

Scottwax
11-22-2003, 11:31 PM
I`d use S100 over SG instead of Poorboys EX (or really any liquid wax since the petroleum distillates in liquid waxes may remove some of the SG). Paste waxes seem to work a lot better as toppers for sealants

BlueZ71
11-23-2003, 12:03 AM
Is P21S the same as S100?

madazskunk
11-23-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by BlueZ71

Is P21S the same as S100?

I`ve never used either but I believe they are the same. Also I think the AIO might remove the #81 since it has cleaners in it.

BlueZ71
11-23-2003, 09:24 AM
Any other comments out there before I start today?

LOTA OT
11-23-2003, 10:49 AM
I wouldn`t use eagle one never dull on your rims as they are probably clearcoated from the factory (just like your paint job). I`d clean them with car soap and an old wash mitt, or if they are real dirty try a good wheel cleaner like EO A2Z. Then clay if really needed and seal with AIO.

Good luck, sounds like a good plan so far.

Michael

BlueZ71
11-24-2003, 05:20 PM
How long will AIO portect the rims? Also, how do you use the APC+ on the carpet?

Detail day has been moved to this Friday. Had rain.

Thanks for the info.

BlueZ71
11-24-2003, 06:15 PM
OK how about this?

Step 1 - Wash with Meguiar`s Gold Class using a 100% wool sponge and PakShak MF towel. Dry with PakShak WW towel.

Step 2 - Clay using Clay Magic Kit (clay and lube). The paint does feel somewhat gritty.

Step 3 - B) Meg`s #9 Swirl remover with Lake Country white pad. 5.5 speed

This is where I get confused - Some say AIO will remove the #81. Is this true? Don`t I need a polish on before I wax?

Step 4 - Polish using Meg`s Hand Polish (this # 81 right?)

Step 5 - Wax with Klasse AIO.

Step 6 - Seal with Klasse SG (3 coats)

Step 7 - S100

Rims - Clay magic and AIO

Tires - Meg`s High endurance. Let sit 30 minutes and wipe off.

Wheel wells - what should I use?

Windows - Clay and then Stoners IG

Inside trim - 303 cleaner and 303 protectect or should I use New Again (black jack)?

Carpet - Meg`s APC+, What`s the best way to use this?

Exterior Trim - 303 cleaner and protectant or Black Again?

Any comments?

Thanks for the patience - just don`t want to screw this thing up.

Blue

crimson
03-01-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by ghlavaty

If you`re gonna clay, save yourself some time and don`t worry about drying after wash . Jump right into claying.

For wheel wells, I like Stoner`s Trim Shine.

I`m claying my car soon too, so I can just clay the car while its still wet with water. And should I still use the lubricant it came with?