PDA

View Full Version : Meg`s Gold Class ?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

imported_TheOne
11-22-2003, 11:00 AM
I have Meg`s Gold Class wax and I allways just throw it on and whipe it off right away. Is this wrong? If it is how long should I let it sit there before I whipe it off by hand?

:bounce

CharlesW
11-22-2003, 12:31 PM
What does it say in the instructions on the package? Seems like GC is suppose to haze before removal, but I`m not sure.

The mfg`s instructions are always a good place to start.

Charles:wavey

silk27106
11-23-2003, 07:07 PM
Gold Class is horrible wax. Go with S100 or Pinnacle Souveran paste.

NEW AGAIN
11-23-2003, 08:30 PM
RAY

Why would you say meguairs gold class is a bad wax . You don`t know what your talking about so you SHOULD keep your mouth SHUT !!!

If you don`t dont understand the wax don`t bad mouth investigate more about the product first wake up

GearHead_1
11-23-2003, 08:42 PM
I use Gold Class occasionally. It gives a tremendous amount of POP with little effort. I don`t however count on this product for long term protection. :cool:

MBZ 500E
11-23-2003, 09:13 PM
From everything I`ve seen at the Meguiars workshops, they suggest leaving it on the paint until it has completely hazed. The swipe test is a great way to determine if it`s completely dried. I`ve found I can apply it to the entire car and then go back to the first panel and immediately start removing it without streaking.

I agree with Gearhead, I`ve compared GC head to head with half a dozen other waxes/sealants and it always provides the darkest finish. It is also provides excellent reflective qualities. Just wish it was easier to apply and remove. Since my car isn`t a daily I`m not as concerned about long term protection but I`d agree there are better products strictly for protection purposes.

JustinR32
11-23-2003, 09:36 PM
Now see? This is why it`s so subjective, that you really have to try the product and decide FOR YOURSELF if it`s good or bad. I don`t like it; I don`t like the way it looks. I can`t warm up to the appearance. I have maybe 20 different waxes on the shelf right now, and I`d choose any of a dozen of them before I`d apply the GC again. I`d apply the Meg`s Cleaner Wax before I`d apply GC again. I`d choose Deep Crystal 3. But what I`d really choose before any of those is #26, or MPPP, or #20, or #16.

To answer the question, though; apply a very thin coat, and then wait 20 minutes from the time you last touched the car. Then take a clean, soft 100% cotton terry towel and a microfiber towel. Start in the same place you started applying, and remove most of the haze with the terry towel (it works best unfolded, with only one layer of towel between your hand and the paint). Finish up with the microfiber.

I just finished this 20 minutes ago, btw, with #26, a product very similar in its action. That`s why I say, "only one layer of towel", ie unfolded. When I had the towel folded into quarters, most of my hand pressure was taken up compressing the towel.

Tom

silk27106
11-24-2003, 08:40 PM
For me, Gold Class does not work but that`s me. I`ve tried it more than once. My beef is if it dries too long, it`s a mf to get off. Gold Class also smells like a dead cow. There are so many better waxes on the market, why risk it with Gold Class.

A buddy once told me GC stripped his clear coat! It`s a very hard, smelly, cloudy wax. Don`t say you were not warned.

BTW, "new Again" or should I call you Barry? Before you start bashing me, you should build up a credible post count, people then may take you seriously. So go back to your Car Crazy studio before your make-up melts.:rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes: :mad:

shaf
11-25-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by newagain

RAY

Why would you say meguairs gold class is a bad wax . You don`t know what your talking about so you SHOULD keep your mouth SHUT !!!

If you don`t dont understand the wax don`t bad mouth investigate more about the product first wake up Woah, easy there tiger! I think your reaction here is way out of proportion to Ray`s comment which, even though not explained, he is totally entitled to make.

Getting all defensive like that and lashing out isn`t going to win you any friends or credibility either. On the contrary, it goes against the grain here at Autopia where we try to keep things civil and polite - even when we disagree with each other.

This is not an issue about post count or being new or not.

If this is a personal dispute between you and Ray, and you somehow know each other, then you should take this up with private messaging. Do not soil the public forums with this mess.

Consider yourself warned.

imported_RadMon
11-25-2003, 06:48 AM
My $0.02...

GC is a good wax for looks. I like it on many colors. But I certainly don`t use it a lot. It is a mother to take off if you put too much on and yes, I do allow it to fully haze. Otherwise it does go on and off easy.

Working against it, though, is its ability to stain the trim, plenty of residue and doesn`t last as long as I would like.

But that`s just me...

togwt
11-25-2003, 09:10 AM
~One man’s opinion~

4DSC~~ YES, I REALLY AM A MODERATOR! NO KIDDIN` ~~.

Thanks for interceding, shouldn’t be necessary with professionals, but then little boys will be, well, just little boys. This is a great forum for the exchange of knowledge / experience, lets keep it this way there is no need for personal attacks.

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect

SuperBuick
11-25-2003, 10:54 AM
On a show car (I.e. protection doesn`t matter), does Gold Class offer the depth and liquidity of, say, pinnacle souveran? I want to try it out on my car (the GC), but the fact that it says "cleans the curface" makes me leery, I don`t want to strip off the glaze.

-Tom

silk27106
11-25-2003, 12:01 PM
Tom, GC is a very bad showcar wax. I would not use it under any conditions at a concourse event and Pinnacle Souveran will work much better.

4DSC and fellow Autopians, please accept my apologies if my post was attacking or dis-respectful in any way. No, I do not know the new poster. I just assumed it was Barry hiding behind one of his many aliases.:nixweiss

JustinR32
11-25-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by SuperBuick

On a show car (I.e. protection doesn`t matter), does Gold Class offer the depth and liquidity of, say, pinnacle souveran? I want to try it out on my car (the GC), but the fact that it says "cleans the curface" makes me leery, I don`t want to strip off the glaze.

-Tom

It won`t strip a Meguiar`s glaze, like #81 or #7; I can`t say about another mfr`s glaze, but my feeling is that it would be OK. Its cleaning properties are minimal, and chemical rather than abrasive. The solvents mix with the glaze and then evaporate.

How it looks is really subjective. I don`t think it looks awful, but so many products look better to me. I don`t know why, maybe there were too many compromises; IMO it`s not beautiful enough to be a beauty wax, and it`s not durable enough to be a protection wax. Not "the worst of both worlds" by any means, but, with one foot in each camp, it fails to be successful in either.

IMO, Souveran paste is the royalty of paste waxes. NOTHING "pops" like Souveran Paste. BUT. For a show car, a car that never goes out into the elements, Souveran paste is a distant second to #7 glaze (or any other good glaze) without any protective coating at all.

Tom

SuperBuick
11-25-2003, 02:55 PM
Tom,

Interesting what you say about #7. I like #7, but I don`t see that it offers anything souveran doesn`t. I`ve tried it, and decided I don`t really need it as I didn`t see any added depth or liquidity.

Just a question, is Souveran Paste the nicest wax you have tried? Personally I have tried Zymol Destiny, and found that to be the equal or better than souveran - but of course the price difference is prohibitive. Just wondering if you had tried out any other high-end waxes.

-Tom