PDA

View Full Version : Lost my hose connection ... alternatives?

kcarter
11-21-2003, 06:21 PM
Since the sprinkler system is connected to the hoses at my townhouse complex (I rent), the maintenance crew winterized them and I don`t have a hose anymore.

On the 2nd floor, I have a water heater w/ a standard hose spigot coming out of it on something marked "COLD (RETURN) RECIRCULATING LOOP", except it puts out hot water. Maybe I`ll use that to fill a wash bucket in the dead of winter, but I won`t for the whole car wash. Also on the 2nd floor I have my kitchen sink, with sprayer. The sprayer head unscrews to reveal a threaded male end, although it is not standard outdoor hose spigot sized. The 2nd level has access to the driveway by way of sliding glass door onto the deck (my garage is under my deck)

The third floor offers what hot and cold spigots currently conntected to the washing machine. These appear to be standard outdoor spigot sized, although I haven`t check. There is also a 2nd shower head that can be disconnected.

Does anyone have experience with a solution for this dilemma?

I think that my best bet an adapter (if available) for the sprayer on the sink.

huangdong28
11-21-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by kcarter

On the 2nd floor, I have a water heater w/ a standard hose spigot coming out of it on something marked "COLD (RETURN) RECIRCULATING LOOP", except it puts out hot water.

If you`re handy, installing a faucet over the water heater (where the cold water goes in) should be a simple matter. At worst, it would be a plumber minimum-cost visit plus about 10 bucks for the faucet. You can get adapters for your sink faucet, but I wouldn`t do it - the flow will be low, and you`ll probably end up breaking the spout if you put a garden hose on it.

Jesstzn
11-21-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by kcarter

The third floor offers what hot and cold spigots currently conntected to the washing machine. These appear to be standard outdoor spigot sized, although I haven`t check. There is also a 2nd shower head that can be disconnected.

Does anyone have experience with a solution for this dilemma?

I think that my best bet an adapter (if available) for the sprayer on the sink.

Get a Y with a shutoff for the cold for the washer .. one side to the washer the other to your hose. They are available in metal for like $6 .. actually for the ammount you will use it just shut off the spigot for the washer cold .. undo the hose to the washer ,, attach your water hose .. wash the car .. then rehook the washer . Just make sure you have a rubber washer in the hose connection and get the connections tight so they don`t leak. Use pliers.

If the 2nd showerhed is attached to standard NPT threads there is available the brass adapter from 1/2" NPT to hose that can be screwed on in place of the shower head. you have lots of options.

armoredsaint
11-21-2003, 08:46 PM
That faucet on your water heater is made to drain/flush out sediments from the bottom of the tank, just becareful and don`t get that into your wash water, the sand and etc...swirls!