PDA

View Full Version : can tires be turned around

madazskunk
11-20-2003, 03:56 AM
I hate my tires. I have tires with the white lettering on them and I hate them. I was wondering if I could take them to the tire shop and have them flipped around. I think the lettering is only on one side but I dont know. Does anybody know if this can be done or do tires half to go on certain way. I don`t see why not. Anybody else know if the lettering is only on one side. I kinda looked and did`nt see anything but they may just be dirty.

rlkintex
11-20-2003, 06:22 AM
Lettering is on one side , When we bought new tires at Discount tires they turned the lettering to the inside

BoxsterCharlie
11-20-2003, 07:19 AM
Depends on the tires. If they are directional, no. (You can tell because the tread will be shaped more or less like a "V" and have a arrow molding into the sidewall if directional)

HellrotCi
11-20-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by BoxterCharlie

Depends on the tires. If they are directional, no. (You can tell because the tread will be shaped more or less like a "V" and have a arrow molding into the sidewall if directional)Even if they are directional you can still remount the tires from the inside to the outside. You just need to rotate the tires to the opposite sides of the car.

BoxsterCharlie
11-20-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by HellrotCi

Even if they are directional you can still remount the tires from the inside to the outside. You just need to rotate the tires to the opposite sides of the car.

Now you`re making me think way too much!

2wheelsx2
11-20-2003, 12:19 PM
Unless they are unidirectional and asymmetrical, you should be able to mount them inside out, or on the other side of the car. There are only a few tires which are unidirectional and asymmetrical, so I don`t think you`ll have a problem. The only tire I can think of off the top of my head is the Yokohama A008 (I don`t know if they even makes those anymore).

madazskunk
11-21-2003, 02:49 AM
I just have stock bfg`s on a trailblazer so I shouldn`t have any problems. Thanks guys.

huangdong28
11-21-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by BoxsterCharlie

Now you`re making me think way too much!

Agreed. Unless there`s arrows molded into the sidewalls, you can mount or rotate any way you like. To make doubly sure, check your owner`s manual for tire rotation recommendation - I`ll bet it includes a cross-over pattern (like, move rears to front, cross fronts to rear) which would absolutely tell you that any tire can rotate in any direction in any wheel position.

imported_FordTaurus
11-21-2003, 10:11 PM
They can be changed around. The michelins on the Explorer came with one side with white lettering. The garage just asked us if we wanted th white lettering visible or not.

-FordTaurus

titus
11-23-2003, 01:37 AM
My BF Goodrich Long Trails have one sidewall marked: "This side out". I assume they shouldn`t be mounted with that caution to the inside. :D