PDA

View Full Version : Minimum time between SG coats

Pages : [1] 2

jland67
11-19-2003, 09:58 PM
What is the recommended time between applying Klasse SG coats? The reason I ask is that i am going to detail my car next week and i would like to apply aleast 8 to 10 of SG. The car is going to be in a garage all week and i was thinking of applying a coat of SG before I go to work and then one when i get home. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Jeremy

stilez
11-19-2003, 10:03 PM
I`d search for more info on this, but...

8-10 coats is overkill. 5-6 coats is the climax of shine and protection. Any more and you`re wasting it.

You should wait 24 hours between coats to allow the SG to cure fully.

There are plenty of articles and discussions on Klasse here. Take a look around the site for its great features.

Good Luck!

Jngrbrdman
11-19-2003, 10:53 PM
I can`t even remember how many coats I had on my teg at one time.... 20 or 30 at least. I was putting on a couple coats a week when I first started using it. I have since learned that anything past 5 layers is past the point of diminishing returns. That just means that you don`t get the results after the 5th layer to really warrant the effort it takes to put the layer on. I`d stop right about at 5.

GSRstilez is dead on with the rest of it. 24 hours between coats for best results. This isn`t a wax. It requires time to cure properly. If you don`t wait the 24 hours then you could have hazing and/or durability issues. If its humid out then you definitely need to wait the 24 hours. Humidity affects the cure time. Klasse isn`t a product where you can slap on 8 or 10 layers in a weekend. One layer a day is about all you can do and not have to worry about any problems. Trust me... Its worth the wait. :bigups

Inzane
11-19-2003, 11:14 PM
So if you`re going at the slow rate of one coat of SG every 24 hrs, do you need to QD and/or california dust the whole car each time right before you apply the next coat? 24 hours is enough time for dust to settle out of the air, even in a garage, isn`t it?

Never used a sealant yet... just curious on the process(s). Thanks.

Jngrbrdman
11-19-2003, 11:26 PM
If the car is dusty or dirty then wash it. If its just been sitting in the garage for 24 hours then its probably already pretty clean. No need to do anything. Dust it or QD it if it needs it, but it probably won`t. I can`t tell you the condition of your own garage, so you`ll just have to inspect the car after 24 hours and make an executive decision as to what you want to do next.

RJJ
11-20-2003, 06:07 PM
I have had incredible results with only waiting about 30-45 minutes between coats in very little humidity and very high humidity.

stilez
11-20-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by RJJ

I have had incredible results with only waiting about 30-45 minutes between coats in very little humidity and very high humidity.

Incredible results meaning durability? Shine?

Please tell us how you came to these results.

Klasse is a proven product with a proven procedure to go with it.

Jngrbrdman
11-20-2003, 07:05 PM
There is a curing process that needs to take place with a polymer sealant. You can not speed up that process no matter how good you are at applying it. Zaino finally came up with an additive that sped up the process, but Klasse has no such system. If you were only waiting 45 minutes between coats then you certianly weren`t waiting long enough. I don`t even buff off the SG for at least 45 minutes. It may have looked good, but I can asure you that it had not completed the curing process and durability and appearance were compromised.

jland67
11-20-2003, 10:11 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I am going to apply 5 coats of Klasse SG next week. One coat a day for 5 days.

Jeremy

beastie
11-21-2003, 11:56 AM
I applied SG and left it to cure. It was very humid and eventually started to rain on the car overnight. The following afternoon, I washed the car. I didn`t see any haze after washing and drying. I applied the second coat, still in very humid weather and buffed off after a little over an hour. These have been the first times I`ve used SG. I applied using a microfiber applicator dampened by EO detail spray. Buff off was with a mf cloth dampened by Sonus spray. Used a dry mf towel afterwards. I had no problems with SG. I have a sapphire blue car. So far, I like the Klasse twins. I will wash the car again and apply a 3rd coat. I wish I polished the car. I only clayed before SG. I already had 2 coats of AIO before I clayed. I know the sequence was off but the results so far have been very good other than the visible swirls. Maybe I`ll polish today.

Should I reapply AIO and SG after polishing?

2wheelsx2
11-21-2003, 12:47 PM
Yes, polishes (true polishes, not glazes) will remove the Klasse.

RJJ
11-21-2003, 06:41 PM
Gentlemen, flawless results, which last about a year, waiting only about a half an hour between coats what else can I say.

Doesn`t jimwh suggest 20 minutes??

Jngrbrdman
11-21-2003, 09:31 PM
Yeah, 20 minutes before buffing it off. Not 20 minutes before adding a new layer.

RJJ
11-22-2003, 10:28 AM
The information contained in the series is quite clear to me, long waits between re-coats are not suggested, indeed short periods between re-coats are implied.

I took this information, used it, and have been very pleased with the results.

If it did not work well I would have posted the info so others would at least be aware that there might be a problem with the protocol

BillNorth
11-23-2003, 12:34 PM
We used to have a paint chemist on this board, and we all beat this subject to death. We determined with his help and expertise that SG does in fact have a cure time of AT LEAST 24 hours. Now I`m glad that it is working for all of you who do not adhere to this rule. And in the end, do what works best for you. But AFAIAC, SG needs 24 hrs to cure.

Someitmes we need to show some patience in order to achieve the best results. Applying SG back to back to back with minimal cure time really just makes us 2.99 turtle wax detailers. People who want miraculous results instantly without putting in the necessary time. Just my $0.02.