PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a rotary

Pages : [1] 2

airjames
11-19-2003, 09:19 PM
Hey guys,

looking for a website or store I can buy a rotary from, maybe a place like Lowe`s would have one??? I`m looking for the more higher line ones, Makita, Dewalt, etc... Thx alot,,,,,91

Dolphin463
11-20-2003, 07:50 AM
I just bought the PC 7428 (big brother to the 7424 and 7336 orbital) from properautocare.com which is on sale until 11/30 and used the autopia discount code to get free shipping on it. This machine is actually German made and got rave reviews in the Mile Marker magazine that is advertised on roadfly. It is a very sturdy machine and one I expect to have for life.

jcdouglass
11-20-2003, 08:09 AM
harborfreight, $170 free shipping makita 9227c

I`m a newbie but it works way better than that dumb PC7424.

I went to a real detailer at the chevy body shop to see what the PRO`s use.

Dolphin463
11-20-2003, 08:11 AM
Harbor freight also had the Dewalt DW849 for $149 with free shipping. However, I got the PC because of the higher amp motor and the velcro back plate.

jcdouglass
11-20-2003, 08:18 AM
OK, PC does some stuff good, but, it may be just me, but the PADS don`t stick very good after a while.

Dolphin463
11-20-2003, 08:28 AM
What do the stickiness of the pads have to do with the machine? Most of the time the pads and backing plate are bought separately from the machine.

Also, my comments about my new PC is not referring to the same Porter Cable machine used by most here. I`m talking about Porter Cable`s rotary machine, which uses bigger pads like the Makita and Dewalt.

jcdouglass
11-20-2003, 09:03 AM
Sorry, I WAS reffering to the 7424, I got of track.

I almost got one of them 7428`s

Tell us, does it go slower/faster than the set speed of the thumb wheel.

My 9227c only goes the speed set on the thumb wheel.

Dolphin463
11-20-2003, 09:37 AM
The speed on the 7428 can be controlled two ways:

1. The thumbwheel has settings between 1 and 6, similiar to the 7424. The MAXIMUM speed will be determined by this setting.

2. The trigger will also determine speed, although this is much more difficult to keep constant and as a result, I usually use the speed lock button which allows you to take your finger off of the trigger and achieve constant speed established by the thumbwheel.

The trigger also gathers speed slowly when you initially pull it. This is to keep product from splattering.

I used it this weekend with a smaller backing plate and pad and some plastic polish to polish my son`s headlights on his `93 325i. They had become very "cloudy" and difficult to see through. The PC 7424 didn`t do a very good job but the 7428 made them look like new again.

GoodnClean
11-20-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by jcdouglass

harborfreight, $170 free shipping makita 9227c

I`m a newbie but it works way better than that dumb PC7424.

I went to a real detailer at the chevy body shop to see what the PRO`s use.

A real detailer at the chevy body shop huh?

Plenty of "PROS" here use the PC 7424 and 7336 with astounding results. In fact, several pros here use nothing but their hands and achieve amazing results. I dont like the generalization that only detailers that use rotaries are "pros" You need look no further than this forum to see a myriad of pro detailers using their hands, PCs and rotaries to work their magic.

I`d suggest you maybe buy some better pads for the PC before you dismiss it as "dumb".

imported_BretFraz
11-20-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by GoodnClean

A real detailer at the chevy body shop huh?

Plenty of "PROS" here use the PC 7424 and 7336 with astounding results. In fact, several pros here use nothing but their hands and achieve amazing results. I dont like the generalization that only detailers that use rotaries are "pros" You need look no further than this forum to see a myriad of pro detailers using their hands, PCs and rotaries to work their magic.

I`d suggest you maybe buy some better pads for the PC before you dismiss it as "dumb".

Did your dog pee in your corn flakes this morning? :nixweiss

The chip on your shoulder today is about the size of the Grand Canyon. What`s up with the mega attitude?

I suggest you let people express themselves as they see fit. Find another outlet for your frustrations. Being confrontational isn`t winning you a lot of friends.

Maybe you need to take a break from Autopia for awhile. Chill out. Hit the gym, stay off the booze and caffeine, do the wife/girlfriend thing, kick the dog..... however you blow off steam. Because blowing off steam by strapping on community members isn`t cuttin` it.

Love and kisses......

- - BretFraz - -

GoodnClean
11-20-2003, 10:21 PM
Couldnt you have sent me that in a PM?

I apologize, I am a little on edge today (happens to all of us). Didn`t mean anything by it, just one of those days. I went for a long walk and now I`m doing better ;)

airjames
11-21-2003, 12:59 AM
now now, no bashing in my thread, I happen to own the 7336SP and I am very pleased with it. Saves my right arm too;)

GoodNClean,

your not alone when we have days that were on the edge. Just one of those days where you have a short fuse and just ready to kick some ***. I have plenty of those days and I`m not sitting here bs`ing just to make you feel better, but I have a short fuse myself, it`s all good bro:xyxthumbs

Thanks for the links guys, I`ll do some comparing around and maybe before the year is over I can get myself a early Christmas present:D ,,,,,,91

GoodnClean
11-21-2003, 02:29 AM
Thanks for understanding ;)

rstype
11-21-2003, 02:37 AM
Maybe some sleep will help, Steve. :) If I`m not mistaken, it`s 2:38 AM right now in D.C., and I see you`re still active.

I`m off to bed. Good night!

Ben

jimmybuffit
11-21-2003, 05:37 AM