PDA

View Full Version : Is it Psychological after 2 coats of wax?

armoredsaint
11-19-2003, 09:42 AM
I was experimenting with my P21S wax on my Audi, after putting 2 coats I noticed a better shine than 1 coat, but would it just be all in my head? Is there a real advantage to putting down 3 or more like some do? I think a sealant/syn like Klasse and Zaino has it`s benefits, but for carnuba?

explorer
11-19-2003, 10:00 AM
Two coats is fine because you might have missed some spots with the firsy one, however I do not think you can layer wax like a polymer.

The heat generated when applying the second and third and other coats will just melt the first and all that becomes just one, you problably end up with most of the wax on your terry cloths anyway.

I tried layering and after applying about 5 coats I though it would last so much longer, and to my surprise it only lasted as long as one single coat:nixweiss

Maybe someone else has had better success, and they will chime in:wavey

stilez
11-19-2003, 10:11 AM
A good friend of mine is a nut with his show car (Integra). You will look at this car and be like why is it a show car. Well, it has 188k on it with nothing but a new paintjob. No new panels and has been in his family since 1994.

Anyways, he tackled an entire bottle of Klasse SG in a year. Bout a coat every week. When he ran out, he then moved on to S100 (same as P21s). He currently has 25-30 coats of S100 on.

However, he doesn`t just put em on over and over at one sitting. Pretty much everytime he washes it (once a week...its a show car under a cover) he throws another coat of S100.

From my standpoint...I have never felt a slicker paint surface in my life. It is also the cleanest Teg in his color I have ever seen. I mean it looks amazing. If you have the money and time, why the hell not? S100 is $15 a jar. You get roughly 20 cars out of a jar.

From his standpoint...He tells me that road debris, like rocks and sand and gunk and such...wipe away with a mist of QD and an MF. Like there is noooo problem getting it off the paint and no damage left behind.

Pics of his:

http://mywebspace.quinnipiac.edu/stbusch/DSC00592.JPG

The Blue-Green Pearl one on the left.

http://mywebspace.quinnipiac.edu/stbusch/DSC00594.JPG

You be the judge...

Jesstzn
11-19-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by armoredsaintt

I was experimenting with my P21S wax on my Audi, after putting 2 coats I noticed a better shine than 1 coat, but would it just be all in my head? Is there a real advantage to putting down 3 or more like some do? I think a sealant/syn like Klasse and Zaino has it`s benefits, but for carnuba?

I think explorer is right .. from all the reading I have done on here layering isn`t very successful with carnubas as the solvents will just melt away the first coat.

The only way your going to tell if there is a benifit is to mask off 1/2 the hood and apply 1 coat to a 1/2 and 2 or more to the other 1/2 then see how it stands up to the elements. From what I have read P21S has great shine but no durability so results should be evident in a few weeks.

On the other hand after a search there is claims that carnuba can be layered but has to be applied "very" lightly by habd and only after the first layer has cured.

So there ya go .. You figure it out.

armoredsaint
11-19-2003, 10:47 AM
GSRstile, Now that is some serious obssessive complusive disorder in a good way, if you have the time!

tom p.
11-19-2003, 11:12 AM
The layering thing is somewhat subjective. If the paint is really nice underneath and the metallic particles laid down just right, you may find some benefit in additional layers. I think in other situations where the paint is less than perfect, adding many layers of wax may do little to enhance the "overall" impact of the wax job.

I did 10 layers of P21S on my motorcycle fuel tank and got some real weird blisters...never saw anything like it before. I didn`t do anything about it and checked a week later and it was developing even more blisters. At that time, I stripped the wax off and let it sit and the blisters have ultimately disappeared. It was very odd. :eek:

More is not always better.

imported_BretFraz
11-19-2003, 11:51 AM
Did you guys read this thread? http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29845&perpage=18&pagenumber=1

There`s some good info there, especially the latter posts.

Accumulator
11-19-2003, 12:46 PM
Heh heh, some of us aren`t gonna get into the "layering of waxes?" topic any more, but if doing [*WHATEVER*] to your car makes it look better TO YOU, and you ENJOY doing it, well, then *DO* it :xyxthumbs

FWIW, when I topped the VM on my XJS with P21S, I thought it looked better after a second coat (a day later) too.

imported_CBX Carl
11-19-2003, 01:33 PM
I tend to Klasse SG a panel or two after I wash my truck skiipping to another panel/s the next week. I just did a complete Klasse AIO/SG and iI am adding SG coats before the S100 for the Winter.

Sometimes I keep saying "one more coat of SG" before I top with S100.

Once I top with S100 I do the same with that, waxxing a panel or two every week.

Just run your hand across the hood and you know you are hooked.

spetulla
11-25-2003, 02:54 PM
that integra looks great. i have friends with that color and drive a 94 integra myself, so I know the woes of old integra paint :)

groebuck
12-02-2003, 10:04 PM
I have seen on another board where a guy layered his RSX with 10 coats of Trade Secret and it was definatley darker (he then posted pics after he removed all the wax). I have a dark grey metallic TL-S with three coats of UPP on it and I just got done putting on the second coat of Trade Secret (TS also recommends you wait 24 hours between layers) and I SWEAR it is darker and the metallic in the paint seems to sparkle in the light (it could be the fumes :) ). I will probably put on two more coats before we get full on winter here - I`ll post a pic and you guys can tell me if I am crazy or not

DantePasquale
12-05-2003, 07:38 PM
Wax away my friend! It may not increase the shine or durability on the car, but if your like me, it makes you feel better. Plus, if you use something like Souveran (I do), I sometimes open the container just to smell it..... but maybe that`s just a Florida thang.