PDA

View Full Version : Is this repairable? *pics*

cherry7up
11-18-2003, 08:56 PM
I`m looking to purchase a 93 325is, I don`t know much about the color besides the fact that it`s black and clearcoated... metallic or not that I don`t know. The cars in Santa Cruz and I`m in Los Angeles. Do you think its worth the trip? I have a couple of pics showing oxidation and cracks on the roof, can you guys tell me whether I`ll be able to buff the cracks out with just a PC? And what approach would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance.

cherry7up
11-18-2003, 08:57 PM
another one

cherry7up
11-18-2003, 08:59 PM
the rest of it looks pretty good

imported_BretFraz
11-18-2003, 09:20 PM
That looks like clearcoat failure to me. Compare to these pics: http://www.autoint.com/highmagnclctfail.htm

There are a zillion BMW`s in LA for sale. I would not recommend travelling to Nor Cal to buy that one.

Jesstzn
11-18-2003, 10:08 PM
I agree with bretfraz ... Unless this car is super low miles and super low price and super awesome shape other than the roof I`d venture somewhere else. Your looking at a repaint for the roof and if the roof clear was abused this way the rest may have been too and may fail later.

Count on at least a roof repaint ..

Jake11375
11-18-2003, 10:35 PM
Can you feel the cracks with your fingernail? If not, then it is not clearcoat failure. It is actually crazing or checking, which is a problem that lies in the base coat. My paint is doing the same thing but it is not as visible (yet). Paint is smooth as glass where the cracks are. I took it to the dealer and and a few paint shops and they diagnosed it as checking, sand and repaint is the only remedy. There was a thread on this before, try a search on crazing or checking...:up

cherry7up
11-19-2003, 12:54 AM
I read into the crazing stuff and looks like its unrepairable. Thanks for all your help.:up