PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Paint Cleaner & Polish scratched up car even more!!!!

BLK98SLK
11-17-2003, 06:13 PM
DUDES! I went to autozone and got Meguiar`s Deep Crystal System. Step 1 was the Paint Cleaner and step 2 was the polish. What I did first was wash and dry car. Clayed it. Drove it around for 2 days, so washed it again and dryed again. Then clayed small parts where excess dirt. Then applied paint cleaner with applicator pad. Wiped off w/ microfiber towel (polyester and whatever). Then applied polish with applicator pad. And used 2600rpm buffer/polisher w/ changeable bonnet. But put microfiber towel between bonnet and car. Then buffed......WTF?!?!?!?! This is supposed to remove scratches.......I think there is still small white things on the car, but claying won`t remove! What happened!?!?!?!

aojk
11-17-2003, 06:52 PM
2600rpm??? Kind of high right?

rstype
11-17-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by BLK98SLK

DUDES! I went to autozone and got Meguiar`s Deep Crystal System. Step 1 was the Paint Cleaner and step 2 was the polish. What I did first was wash and dry car. Clayed it. Drove it around for 2 days, so washed it again and dryed again. Then clayed small parts where excess dirt. Then applied paint cleaner with applicator pad. Wiped off w/ microfiber towel (polyester and whatever). Then applied polish with applicator pad. And used 2600rpm buffer/polisher w/ changeable bonnet. But put microfiber towel between bonnet and car. Then buffed......WTF?!?!?!?! This is supposed to remove scratches.......I think there is still small white things on the car, but claying won`t remove! What happened!?!?!?!

Yikes! What speed did you set the buffer at? Hopefully not 2,600!

I would stay away from the machine at this time. FYI, most people polish by machine and wipe it off by hand. What you did, just "wiping it on" with an applicator pad, will do no good... abrasives need to be worked in and broken down. With your current technique, it`s likely you`ll get the same not-too-good results when you try another product. Meguiar`s DC1 isn`t exactly one of the better polishes, but it`s not to be blamed for the scratches.

I`m guessing many people have already told you to do research, and I agree. A search on machine polishing works well, in addition to the articles people have written already.

BLK98SLK
11-17-2003, 07:19 PM
Ok, I tried it on a small part of the trunk w/o machine and it actually took the scratches out........nevermind...........BTW, can I do step 1 and step 2 to the hood again??!?

GoodnClean
11-17-2003, 07:43 PM
This is why I wanted you to do the reading before you tackled the car. Without the proper knowledge you can create even more problems.

First off, what kind of bonnet are you using?

Putting the MF towel in between the bonnet and car? You`ve got it all backwards here. As BW said, you want to apply the product with the buffer, work it in well until it is almost dry and invisible, then remove with an MF. The polish works in the application, not in the removal. Its an abrasive and you have to methodically abrade the surface to remove the scratching.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do some research here. What happened was you used a tool and products that you didn`t properly know how to use. I wouldn`t expect myself to be able to build a house without learning how to do it first, and you shouldnt expect yourself to know how to do this detail without learning how. Throwing a hammer and a nail at some wood doesn`t build a wall, and throwing a buffer and a bottle of polish at your car doesn`t get it detailed. Its really not hard, and its a lot of fun but it is a skill and like any other skill, it has to be learned. Even if you have the car done by a professional, if you dont learn how to maintain it properly it will look just like it does now in no time flat. This is why professional detailers make a living. This takes time, it takes effort, it takes commitment and it takes patience.

Have you looked into some of the products that we reccomended for you earlier? Like DACP and SFP?

I agree with BW, lets get you away from the buffer for right now. What kind of MF towels do you have, do you have any 100% cotton towels? To start I would reccomend you use a 100% cotton towel folded into quarters, apply the product to a 12"x12" section and work it in, back and forth not in circles until it is almost gone from the paint. Then buff it with the MF (again, not in circles) and see what you`ve got.

BLK98SLK
11-17-2003, 07:49 PM
I am guilty of wanting to jump right into the hot water and gettin my car all shiny! :( BTW, I did what you recommended and it did get the scratches and swirl marks out. So I`m just gonna go through the car doing this and then later apply wax. Then I will do some more readin and figure out all this stuff.

GoodnClean
11-17-2003, 07:52 PM
I know just how you feel, and all of us at one point or the other got ahead of ourselves.

Keep on truckin around the car, take your time. Do a panel a day until the whole car is done. Any thoughts to some sort of in between polish, what kinda wax you thinking about?

shaf
11-18-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by GoodnClean

Throwing a hammer and a nail at some wood doesn`t build a wall, and throwing a buffer and a bottle of polish at your car doesn`t get it detailed. Wow, I think I`ll have to remember this little gem! :cool:

Good luck BLK98SLK!

imported_Aurora40
11-18-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by BLK98SLK

And used 2600rpm buffer/polisher w/ changeable bonnet. But put microfiber towel between bonnet and car. Then buffed......

Question: What does your microfiber towel look like now? I would think this would have melted the nap as running a buffer at that high an rpm, coupled with the fact that there is no product on the buffer being applied, would generate more than enough heat to ruin your MF towel (and then of course scratch the crap out of your paint). You may want to inspect that towel and possibly retire it.

hondaguy2582
11-18-2003, 01:04 PM
out of curiosity, what buffer were you using?

GoodnClean
11-18-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Wow, I think I`ll have to remember this little gem! :cool:

Good luck BLK98SLK!

I think its probably worth remembering lol ;)