PDA

View Full Version : Fresh paint more prone to swirls than factory paint?

MnRiverman
11-14-2003, 09:56 PM
Maybe it`s just me, but every respray I have ever seen always seems to be "softer", scratches easier.

Our BMW just got back from WagonWork body shop yesterday, and they did a great job with the paint, but they swirled it quite a bit when they washed the car - but this mostly happened where the fresh paint was.

Will the paint get harder/more durable after it cures?

It`s nothing really bad though, just very light surface scratches which I`m going to buff out this weekend.

Just looking for some insight. :)

Thanks,

- Anthony

CharlesW
11-14-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by adg44

Maybe it`s just me, but every respray I have ever seen always seems to be "softer", scratches easier.

Will the paint get harder/more durable after it cures?

Repaint more apt to swirl? It has certainly seemed that way to me.

Does it get better? Maybe, but IMO never as good as the original factory paint.

The one exception I have experienced was single stage Urethane on an old van some 15 - 20 years ago. It cured to the hardness of concrete.

Charles

MnRiverman
11-15-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by CharlesW

Repaint more apt to swirl? It has certainly seemed that way to me.

Does it get better? Maybe, but IMO never as good as the original factory paint.

Charles

So does anyone know why this is? Is there some chemical difference that causes it?

Is it because it`s not cured at as high as a temperature as the factory paint?

Maxtorque02
11-15-2003, 12:38 AM
New paint usually takes 30 to 60 days to fully cure. There are some solvents in the paint that will eventually evaporate out and leave you with a very hard and durable finish. That`s why they tell you not to wax the car for at least 30 days and sometimes even longer. The wax will act as a sealer and not allow the solvents to evaporate out of the paint.

CharlesW
11-15-2003, 10:07 AM
Just a couple of comments.

1. Repaints a year or two old still don`t seem to me to have anywhere near the durability of the factory paint.

2. In no way am I trying to badmouth body men and their painting abilities. Just stating my belief. Obviously the factory has a tremendous advantage in prep, conditions, access, baking capabilities. Probably many other things we would never even think about.

Charles