PDA

View Full Version : Importance of applying thin coats?

imported_NHBFAN
11-14-2003, 09:53 PM
Many products we use strongly emphasize thin coats. Besides the obvious, more product is harder to remove and the waste factor, are there other reasons for applying thin coats?

I know I`m missing something.

imported_memnuts
11-14-2003, 10:21 PM
I can only think of one other reason besides wasting product....Ease of removal (buffing) :wavey

imported_NHBFAN
11-14-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by NHBFAN

Besides the obvious, more product is harder to remove

blkZ28Conv,

Yeah, that`s what I meant (buffing).

I know I worded it ackwardly.

imported_memnuts
11-14-2003, 10:34 PM
:doh

My bad. It is way pass my bedtime. :wavey

Scottwax
11-14-2003, 11:00 PM
Only a very thing layer of product stays behind after buffing off the excess anyway, meaning everything you wiped off was wasted product, so thin coats mean less wasted product.

C-MDX
11-14-2003, 11:03 PM
So do you apply a coat so thin that you almost couldn`t see it or seem like they dried (or actually did) just after you applied it???

imported_Dave Holmes
11-15-2003, 03:07 AM
C-MDX, I`m wondering the same. I`ve noticed that when I apply #26, it is very hard to tell where I put it. I have to look at an extreme angle and it looks only like a slight smear following the direction/shape of my applicator (kinda like the oily smear from a finger).

I wondered if it was because #26 doesn`t dry white (and I have a white car). But I get similar results with Gold Class Wax, just not quite to the same extreme of #26. Can I attribute that slight difference to my #26 being liquid, and GC being a paste? I`ve also noticed that both products seem to dry almost immediately.

Anyways, am I applying my wax too thin?

Dave

Scottwax
11-16-2003, 01:16 AM
As long as you completely cover the surface with wax, you are not going too thin as long as some excess product is ending up on the towel when you buff the wax off.