PDA

View Full Version : Buffer Marks?

imported_brerpie
11-13-2003, 09:36 PM
Hey all,

I have marks that are similiar to these on my side doors (Are these called buffer marks?):

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2746&papass=&sort=1

My vehicle is brand new and I assume the dealer did it when they prepped it...possibly with a rotary buffer? Is it possible to create buffer marks with a PC?

How should I go about removing these? #9? DACP?

outdoorsr
11-13-2003, 10:11 PM
I just got a new rotory and I created something along the same lines unfortunately:rolleyes:

Under a holagen it looks IMMACULATE. Not a scratch or mark to be found. But under the sunlight I get something like that. I guess it is just inexperience. I used a PC to help to remove them. If someone knows how to use a rotory to correct this let us know :D

imported_BretFraz
11-13-2003, 10:38 PM
Yep, that`s hologramming from a rotary. Hard to avoid sometimes if the car you`re detailing has soft paint.

I use a PC and Einszett paint polish (green can) and a yellow pad. Takes out any hologramming and leaves a perfect finish. I imagine DACP will do the same trick.

Jesstzn
11-13-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

Yep, that`s hologramming from a rotary. Hard to avoid sometimes if the car you`re detailing has soft paint.

I use a PC and Einszett paint polish (green can) and a yellow pad. Takes out any hologramming and leaves a perfect finish. I imagine DACP will do the same trick.

How do you like the Einzsett Paint and Metal polish. I was thinking of buying it .. I have Menzerna IP/FP now but is hard to buy up here .. Einzsett I can buy.

CRXSi90
11-14-2003, 01:28 AM
I suppose it depends on the depth and severity of the buffer marks. My car had them, but they seem to have faded. It could have been from using Meguiars Gold Class liquid agressivly with a PC [really working it in] or that one or both of the two waxes I used, Gold Class and S100 just filled them and they are not that bad. I had attempted swirl removal by hand with Scratch X, and maybe I was more successful than I thought.

I hope Mike Phillips doesn`t mind me showing this, but knowledge untold is knowledge wasted, or however that quote goes...

Maybe this is how to get a buffer-mark free surface with a rotary, even on soft paints...

"Here`s a shot of me genlty performing the very last pases using #82 Swirl Free Polish with the W-9006 pad, at about 1100rpm. There is just the weight of the buffer on the pad, maybe less."

W-9006 is a 6" finishing pad, and #82 Swirl Free Polish is a light polish

http://www.showcargarage.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=2336

So maybe the key with a rotary is to really lighten up for the last step in your process. With a PC or by hand, keep working it until they are removed, I suppose. I`d take other`s advice of what polish to start with.

And to answer the question about if a PC can create those kind of marks, no. The marks are made from the circular rotation of the buffer, and a PC doesn`t really rotate, it jiggles.

HTH,,,,,kevin

aojk
11-14-2003, 06:23 AM
I encountered buffer marks using a rotary buffer even at low rpm z about 1500rpm. I was using the W-7000 with 1z paint polish!

11-14-2003, 07:23 AM
I was fighting the same problem but doing the last step with pc seemed to take care of it. I used #81 with megs finishing pad. (thanks to Deanski!) hope that helps.

jimmybuffit
11-14-2003, 07:53 AM
Back to the thread...

It is the Dealer`s responsibility to remove the swirls. I would accept the car. Period.

Good news is that, with proper technique, they can be removed.

Jim