PDA

View Full Version : Scratches on Window Tint....

imported_Luster
11-13-2003, 05:11 PM
I have 4 cars. All have 20% tinted windows, which is fairly dark (in fact, many times it appears black).

I have noticed that, with age and some carelessness, some of these windows have become scratched on the inside, where the soft vinyl film is applied.

In a couple of instances, the scratches are quite deep, and can easily be felt with a fingernail.

Is there a fix for this, short of removing and replacing?

vaca222
11-13-2003, 05:18 PM
I have the same problem, there is something inside my doors that rubs against the tinting that causes the scratches. You can take the doors apart and insert what is called "mole skin" along the edge of the door that is causing the scratches. However, that might be too much of a pain just to prevent scratching. Just an idea though! I know of no product that can repair that short of actually replacing the tints.

LouisanaJeeper
11-13-2003, 06:12 PM
there is no way to really repair. You ...might... be able to heat it with a hair dryer to melt down the scratch to be even with the rest of the film, but do so at your own risk.

I have tint also (llumar (sp?)), and I notice no such scratches. Mabey try using a better quality film next time?

imported_elortt
11-13-2003, 07:54 PM
There is no fix, but you can cover it up. you just need to get some nail polish (black) and some thinner. take a bottle cap and pour some polish in then dilute (1 drop at a time) until it looks the same transparency. Apply with a toothpick. Not a fix but a way to make it much less noticable.

Hope this helps

Eric

Autoeng
11-15-2003, 03:43 PM
A better quality tint will assist in the prevention of scratches and fading. Llumar and 3M are what I would recommend.