PDA

View Full Version : Can there really just be a scratch in a layer of sealant?

Pages : [1] 2

Bill D
11-12-2003, 07:30 PM
I really wonder now if it is possible to get a scratch only in a layer of sealant.

Here`s what happened...(long)

Today I noticed two EXTREMELY light scratches on my hood in two different spots, probably unnoticeable without my flourescent garage lighting. Paint is brillant black.

Since I have several layers of SG on my car I asumed these scratches were probably just in the layers of SG. My logic was to simply apply a little more SG over the scratches in effort to fill in the break the scratches created in the existing SG. I applied and wiped off the excess. The scratches were still there. ( Used mf cloths to apply and remove product)

A little annoyed, I then applied AIO to the scratches, it barely made an improvement, if at all.

So I then used GEPC, it seemed to erase 99.9% of the scratches. I followed with AIO, then topped with SG again.

This little experiment has now led me to believe there isn`t such a thing as "scratches only in the layer of sealant" Unless I did something wrong and something obvious simply went over my head,it seems to me if you observe even the slightest scratch it is in the paint itself to some degree.

Since I used GEPC can I expect the scratches I "erased" to eventually reappear given GEPC has fillers? Or maybe since the scratches were so light it did indeed eliminate them?

everner
11-12-2003, 07:41 PM
If you think the scratches are just filled, maybe an "alcohol" test on the scratch site would let you know.

acl99
11-12-2003, 07:55 PM
wouldnt aio remove the fillers since its a chemical cleaner?

Bill D
11-12-2003, 09:02 PM
If it can, then I guess the GEPC did in fact remove the very minor scratches. If this is the case, I don`t know to what extent GEPC truly removes imperfections( how severe they would be) before the fillers just cover up what it can`t.

CharlesW
11-12-2003, 09:49 PM
Can`t comment on scratches in sealant.

Just have a question.

By GEPC, are you referring to the P21S Gloss Enhancing Paint Cleanser?

Your statements about the fillers in it kind of surprised me.

I thought both P21S GEPC and S100 SEC were true polishes without fillers. Has it been determined that they do contain fillers? I didn`t think they did. (Still Don`t)

Charles

Bill D
11-12-2003, 11:33 PM
I`ve read the p21s GEPC does have fillers. :confused:. If it really doesn`t, thats better yet. It did do a nice job on the light scratches pretty quickly :up

Jesstzn
11-12-2003, 11:45 PM
Think about how many 1000th of an inch thickness is the sealant.. I bet the scratch is in the Clear. Where is Ketch when I need him?

Bill D
11-13-2003, 09:51 AM
Yeah, thats why I now have a hard time believing any visible tiny scratch can really just be in the sealnt even with multiple coats

Accumulator
11-13-2003, 11:49 AM
Some of us with many layers of SG or Zaino HAVE experienced *VERY MINOR* (micro)marring that was only in the sealant. The marring DID disappear with the application of non-abrasive products, in my case AIO and more SG (not just filled, it really DID go away permanently). Not very common though. Anything bad enough to be readily noticeable is probably gonna be in the paint.

Bill D
11-13-2003, 12:40 PM
Ah... so maybe this really was in the SG, but for me it needed both GEPC and AIO then topped again with SG :nixweiss

Jesstzn
11-13-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Some of us with many layers of SG or Zaino HAVE experienced *VERY MINOR* (micro)marring that was only in the sealant. The marring DID disappear with the application of non-abrasive products, in my case AIO and more SG (not just filled, it really DID go away permanently). Not very common though. Anything bad enough to be readily noticeable is probably gonna be in the paint.

So basically the AOI removed the layer of SG the scratch was in and then you reapplied SG to replace the removed layer? Sounds logical.

Bill D
11-13-2003, 01:32 PM
When I became skeptical about the point of having multiple layers of SG on my paint I rationalized continuing to put more on just for pure fun, now maybe I really did get a little extra protection out of it after all :bounce

Accumulator
11-13-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

So basically the AOI removed the layer of SG the scratch was in and then you reapplied SG to replace the removed layer? Sounds logical.

Yeah, that`s how it went. I realize that opinions vary on the idea of creating "film builds" with paint protection products, but when you get a lot of SG on there (in this case, maybe six layers) it certainly seems to behave differently from "regular protection". But again, I oughta stress that I was referring to true "MICRO"marring, that many/most people might not have noticed in the first place. Still, it DOES speak to the effectiveness of SG.

rstype
11-13-2003, 06:56 PM
I`m too lazy to read through this thread, but from just the title, my opinion is that there cannot be a scratch in a layer of a sealant. To me, that "sacrificial" layer is simply too thin and insignificant to show marring.

My 2 cents...

Magellan498
11-13-2003, 07:40 PM
I`m with BW on this. Can`t say I`ve ever met a scratch that disappeared with the removal of Klasse or Zaino.