PDA

View Full Version : Some hazing and swirls

2002 Maxima SE
11-12-2003, 02:14 PM
I`ve noticed that my paint has that not-so-new look to it. Some swirls are starting to show, especially after the PUPP has warn off. After doing some reading and budgeting, I decided to try the following approach:

1)Mequiar`s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner

2)Mequiar`s # 7

3)Mequiar`s #20 or #26 or Platinum Ultimate Paint Protection

I would like to purchase a PC, to do this but this is my first time using a pc.

1)What pads should I use?

2)Do I use a circular motion or a figure 8? (I know to slow down on the edges of the car).

3)Will this strategy remove most (if not all) of my haze and swirls and leave me with a deep shine?

4)Are the materials too aggressive? Not aggressive enough?

Keep in mind this is for a 2002 Nissan Maxima which has thin paint from the factory. Thanks!

dmatre
11-12-2003, 04:34 PM
My experience has been with mostly Griot`s Garage products, so my recommendations come from that background. I use their ORANGE pads for polishing, and the RED pads for waxing.

As for using the PorterCable Orbital, set the speed at about 5 or 5-1/2. Move the buffer back-and-forth, and then up-and-down, moving slightly with each pass, in order to cover the entire panel being worked on.

Make 2 passes in each direction (passing over each spot on the panel 4 times), in order to ensure even polishing, or even product application.

I`m not familiar with the products that you`re using, but if the #7 is a very mild polish, you should end up with a stunning result.

No worries about the Maxima paint - my wife`s last car was a Maxima. Nissan did a great job with the paint, and with the PC, it`s almost impossible to screw it up (unless you choose a very abrasive polish).

Remember: The quality of the job depends on the quality of the preparation. Be certain to completely wash the car, to remove any dirt/dust.

Then, before embarking on your adventure, I would suggest claying the car, to remove as many contaminants as you can, before using the polisher to push them around your paint.

After claying, proceed with your polishing/waxing.

Finally, hit the town, and enjoy cruising in your like-new Maxima.

Good Luck!

PS: On the Griot`s Garage Web Site, you can download their Detailing Handbook - which describes the proper method of using a PC for polishing/waxing. Additionally, you could check out the stickies on the detailing forum at MBWorld.org. Both are good sources for the "how-to" tricks.

2002 Maxima SE
11-12-2003, 05:10 PM
Lots of good information. Thank you!

GoodnClean
11-12-2003, 05:41 PM
Exactly how bad is the paint swirling? I`m not so sure that those products are going to do what you`re wanting them to do. If I were you, I would start with some Klasse AIO to remove any oxidation, then some Meg`s Swirl Free Polish or #9 and see what you`ve got. The AIO should take care of the dullness, and the #9 or SFP should hopefully take care of the light swirls. Then maybe something like Vanilla Moose or P21s GEPC followed by the wax of your choice (since you seem to be headed in the carnuaba direction)

If you wanna stick to meguiars then you could substitute #81 Polish for the VM or GEPC. I`ve never had luck with #7...

Since you`re looking at the PC, I may even reccomend DACP to make sure the swirls are totally gone and wont re-appear.

shaf
11-12-2003, 08:50 PM
I would imagine that Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is too mild to do much for the swirls. As suggested above, try a swirl remover on them.

gez
11-13-2003, 07:03 AM
Try getting a polish without any fillers as the swirls will just show up again. Maybe Menzerna Ip or FP if the swirls are not too bad.

imported_BretFraz
11-13-2003, 08:34 AM
I agree that the Deep Crystal product won`t do much. Even an SMR prolly won`t cut it. I`d use Einszett Paint Polish (green can) with a yellow polishing pad or the Griots orange pad.

Then if you want to glaze, #7 would be fine but I think #81 Speed Glaze is a better product for modern paint. #7 is an ancient product and really works better on old, single stage lacquers and enamels.

If you do glaze, skip the #20. The light chemical cleaners in #20 will remove the oils left by the glaze, making the glaze step a total waste of time. Instead go #26 or, even better, S100. You can find S100 at Harley dealerships. A fabulous carnauba wax for $15.00.

I do not see a reason for you to go anywhere else for detailing info. The forum mod at MBWorld.org is also a member here and he obtained the vast majority of his information from Autopia members. Autopia offers an awesome detailing guide which can be found here: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/accgtd.html Your $14.95 supports this community. Besides, the Autopia guide is cheaper and you can get it immediately via download. Print it out and you have both a hard and soft copy of the guide.

Finally, don`t forget to use the SEARCH function. There is a great thread about PC use right here in the Autopia Hall Of Fame: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14421&perpage=18&pagenumber=1

That would have led you to this world class post on Roadfly: http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1430487&page=1

See? All it takes is a little research and patience and all your questions can be answered. Autopia is the Library Of Congress for car detailing. There`s no need to go anyplace else.