PDA

View Full Version : Plated Brake Rotors, Need Help....

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MBZ 500E
11-10-2003, 12:25 PM
So I`m due for a new set of brake pads/rotors for my car and I need your help and experience.

I`m going to be purchasing a set of OEM Brake Rotors which I would like to send out for plating. The two processes offered are CAD Plate or Nickel Plate. The purpose of the plating is protection of areas which are not in contact with the brake pads to insure they look "OEM New" and don`t rust/corrode over time. The car won`t see rain and isn`t a daily driver but I do drive it. Water will be introduced to the rotors either from mild wheel cleaners or Final Detail. The pads will be either Metal Masters or Kevlar Compound, both are low dust.

A local shop will Nickel Plate all (4) Rotors for $90.00, they stated that Nickel will offer better protection over CAD..:nixweiss I`m searching for a CAD Plate Shop to determine pricing.

Has anyone tried either plating material and do you have any other suggestions. Painting is not an option BTW, it won`t match the machined metal finish and judges will deduct points. I am willing to pay more for the better solution, these rotors will be on the car at least 4 years so it needs to last.

Your suggestions and thanks in advance for your time.:)

imported_neoflex
11-14-2003, 03:44 PM
Don`t go with Metal Master. The dust will give you a rust like appearance. I made this mistake my last vehilce. Just a heads up!

Snkypete
11-14-2003, 09:11 PM
I opted for the Zinc wash coating from Baer and wasn`t too impressed. Car has never seen bad weather and they don`t look nearly as well as I would like.

MBZ 500E
11-14-2003, 09:32 PM
Neoflex,

Thanks for the heads up on the Metal Masters.:up

Pete,

Cool Mustang and nice website! Do you or any of your friends have any experience with the CAD or Nickel Plate by chance? I want my rotors to look like yours did when new and to stay that way.

Any other suggestions?

Sci-Fi
12-12-2003, 07:09 AM
Have you considered powder coating? There is a semi gloss and gloss clear powder available. Here is a price list to give you an idea of the costs: http://www.metalcoatingcompany.com/powder.html

MBZ 500E
12-12-2003, 09:59 AM
Sci Fi thanks for the tip! I`m ordering my brakes next week and depending on the existing finish I may go with this. I`ll post some before and after pics.

MBZ 500E
02-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Well I finally completed the install of my new brakes. After extensive research I decided to go with Electroless Nickel Plating on all of my rotors. I chose PBR Deluxe Brake Pads which are low dust and OE braking performance.

So far I`ve put about 50 miles on the rotors and the front nickel plate is just barely starting to wear through on braking surface only as I had hoped. The rear doesn`t look like it`s been touched yet. The braking performance is excellent so it looks like a good setup. Note: My goal was to prevent the rust areas which occur on the non-wear surfaces, you can see the rust on the old rotors.

Here`s a before of the rear rotors:

MBZ 500E
02-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Here`s the after shot of the rear rotors. Yes I plan on painting the calipers black to replicate the OE appearance they had years ago. :)

MBZ 500E
02-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Here`s a shot of the old front rotors:

MBZ 500E
02-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Heres the front brake with new plated rotors.

Inzane
02-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Looks great.

Now you just need to do something about those calipers. If you plan to paint them, I`d recommed the Folia-Tec 2-part laquer kits.

:xyxthumbs

MBZ 500E
02-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Inzane,

Yes calipers are definitely next. I`m still debating between a gloss or satin finish for the calipers. The 500E`s built in 92 had high gloss front calipers but only medium gloss rear calipers. I`m thinking of just using the standard 2 part coating in gloss as you suggested. I`ll post pics in the next few weeks when I decide.

Accumulator
02-09-2004, 11:22 AM
MBZ 500E - Thanks for being the trailblazer on this. Next time I put rotors on the S8 I`m gonna look into doing the same thing. Who did you have apply the nickel? Heh heh, I don`t think I`ll send brake rotors to the guys who do electroless on firearms ;)

MBZ 500E
02-09-2004, 11:33 AM
I`ll continue to update this post with photos and description to help everyone interested.

I was lucky with regards to a plating company. This company is also a customer of mine and I know they`ve been around for a while so I was comfortable using them. They do Nickel, Electroless Nickel, Cadmium and Anodizing, they agreed Electroless would be most durable and resist corrosion from wheel cleaners etc....

If you look in the yellow pages you`ll find a bunch in your area, local advantages includes supporting local economy and seeing the results before accepting it. If you`re not comfortable with a local shop I can arrange for you to send them to the place I used and inspect them for you before they ship, just let me know. BTW I paid $130.00 for all four rotors and they did a great job.:xyxthumbs

Accumulator
02-09-2004, 12:43 PM
MBZ 500E- If/when I decide to do this (I`m not about to wear out the S8`s current rotors in this lifetime unless I drive the car more!) I`ll probably get back to you.

Our local platers weren`t very competent, and just got closed down over some rather egregious EPA violations. I could always go with one of the "regular choice"/common referral platers but I`d just wondered if you`d used someone you considered "special". Generally, I like to patronize shops that have already proven themselves to particular customers and I don`t think brake rotors get this treatment all that often.