PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use disposable tire shine applicators?

Pages : [1] 2

Ben Carufel
11-09-2003, 08:05 PM
I`m tired of saving the piece of cut-up sponge I use to shine tires. I keep it in a ziploc bag, but that gets pretty dirty and it`s just a mess.

I stocked up on latex gloves at Costco the other day and figured since I`m using disposable hand protection I might as well look into disposable tire wipes.

Has anyone found anything that`s reasonably cheap (less than 50 cents each, lets say) and works for applying tire shine?

FWIW I`m using Eagle 1 Tire Shine in the clear bottle.

rstype
11-09-2003, 08:21 PM
Hmm, I wonder if using the latex glove itself would work as an applicator.

Jesstzn
11-09-2003, 08:28 PM
I use these .. I get them for 12 for $1 at the local Dollar store , they werk great. Spray the tire dressing on the sponge to prevent overspray on the wheels/body. I have used the special contoured ones and went back to these .. The green backing is rather firm which helps the sponge hold its shape.

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/21459/p/434510_8775999666078612563_vl.jpg

huangdong28
11-09-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Ben Carufel

Has anyone found anything that`s reasonably cheap (less than 50 cents each, lets say) and works for applying tire shine?

How`s 33 cents? Several Dollar Stores have 3-packs of tire-swipes.

C-MDX
11-09-2003, 08:30 PM
I never know you can buy that much sponges for a buck in a dollor store, or is it because I never been to one for over 3 months

Jesstzn
11-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by C-MDX

I never know you can buy that much sponges for a buck in a dollor store, or is it because I never been to one for over 3 months

They are about 2 1/2 ` x 3" , I have even seen them in the $$ store in Delta.

Ben Carufel
11-09-2003, 09:07 PM
Sounds like the perfect size...I might have to swing by the 99 Cent store tonight...

Thanks for the tips.

Ben Carufel
11-09-2003, 11:50 PM
Jesstzn: Thanks for the tip! Just got home from the 99 cent store. Sure enough -- same sponge, different packaging. These ones are called, more appropriately I suppose, "USA CLEAN". Same material, same size, and same price - 12 for 99 Cents!

I cleaned them out tonight (3 packages) but I`ll go back later this week and hope they have more.

Life is good! :D

Jesstzn
11-09-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Ben Carufel

Jesstzn: Thanks for the tip! Just got home from the 99 cent store. Sure enough -- same sponge, different packaging. These ones are called, more appropriately I suppose, "USA CLEAN". Same material, same size, and same price - 12 for 99 Cents!

I cleaned them out tonight (3 packages) but I`ll go back later this week and hope they have more.

Life is good! :D

Welcome .. glad I could be of help .. I have been using those since I stole 1/2 a package out from under moms sink 2 years ago

shaf
11-10-2003, 09:00 PM
I had a similar problem with storing reusable tire swipes and how they made everything dirty.

I spent a few minutes with some cardboard and masking tape and made a little box just big enough to fit the sponge of the swipe in (Eagle One Tire Swipe) and that has pretty much eliminated my problem with dirty hands and fingers.

I am still amazed by how long those swipes last considering they`re foam. I stocked up big time on those EO swipes when they were on clearance, but holy smokes am I getting my money`s worth!

C-MDX
11-10-2003, 09:29 PM
Does Eagle one tire swipes last long than the sponges???

Jesstzn
11-10-2003, 09:43 PM

Does Eagle one tire swipes last long than the sponges???

They last as long as one sponge but sponges are 12/$1 and up here the contoured ones are $4/2

C-MDX
11-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Does Eagle one applies more evenly than sponges????

Jesstzn
11-10-2003, 09:55 PM

Does Eagle one applies more evenly than sponges????

Applying evenly implies you want to do it in one sweep.. none work good on one sweep .. I find the sponges work as well. With both if you want your dressing to stay on the tire it should be applied and worked in and spread so it is thin and even to prevent slinging.

Every tire dressing I have tried outside of Foreverblack will sling or not sling all depending on the person applying.

shaf
11-11-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

Applying evenly implies you want to do it in one sweep.. none work good on one sweep .. I find the sponges work as well. With both if you want your dressing to stay on the tire it should be applied and worked in and spread so it is thin and even to prevent slinging. Ditto. Even with the contoured EO swipes I tend to "scrub" on the dressing, especially since I apply it so thinly. Still, I`ve been pretty impressed with how well they held up to such abuse. I just hate the idea of using a sponge and tossing it after one use, that`s all. ;)