PDA

View Full Version : in between the layer of SG

mrbean
11-06-2003, 01:49 AM
Newbie question here:

from reading the post here , ppl said there`s should be like a 24 hrs wait in between the layers of SG. But since i parker my car outside the street. Do i need to wash the car again to put on the second layer ? since the first layer will be buff off 20 mins after u apply the SG (I assume that i am right here). If I don;t wash the car again , what method should i use ?

Any advice will be greatly appreciate.

Thanx all !!!!!

shaf
11-06-2003, 02:25 AM
It depends how dirty it gets, but there are 2 schools of thought on this.

a) By default, the absolute safest thing to do is to wash and dry it again.

b) If you`re confident that you`re very thorough in your QDing, a QD session will do. Just be sure to use any non-carnauba QD spray. The danger that some people see in this is that you may miss a spot or something and unwittingly rub dirt into the paint.

It`s up to you though...

mrbean
11-06-2003, 02:31 AM
thanx 4dSC

but just another quick question

will the car wash wash away the SG (I am using Meguire`s Golden Car Wash)? Also if i can park in the garage instead of parking on the street , is washing necessary ?

Thanx again

jeremyp111
11-06-2003, 06:22 AM
If you apply your second coat the very next day I doubt you`d need to wash and dry it again. Unless of course you have a very windy day and sand is all over your car. I would recommend QDing using a clean dry MF towel and then go back over it a second time just to be sure it`s completely clean. Make sure your QD spray has no silicones and no waxes. Meguiars Final Inspection in a QD that you can get locally that fits this bill. If you wash your car between coats you will not remove the SG previously applied. SG is very durable and stands up very well over time even washing every week.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit.

Jeremy

inspector
11-06-2003, 04:55 PM
This is how it went for me: I finished my SG on my black car on a Saturday evening and put the garage doors down. Nobody was even in the garage for at least 12 hours. So, Sunday after church I raise the door to have a look at my 1st layer of SG and when the sun hit it, I saw the dust.

The amount of dust and dirt that can collect in the 24 hr. period is incredible. At least rinse the car off with water and dry it off before the 2nd layer of SG, IMO.

Accumulator
11-07-2003, 11:46 AM
mrbean- Here`s another vote for washing the car. Just too risky NOT to wash, you sure don`t want to scratch it when you`re on the final step. And no, the wash WILL NOT strip your SG. It`s a LOT tougher than that!

You could just drive the car for a while and put the next coat of SG on after the next (regular) wash. One coat of SG is plenty of protection until then. Just adding a coat after each wash is a good and easy way to build up some layers of SG. Just spot-clay any areas that seem "imperfectly clean" after/during the wash.

mrbean
11-07-2003, 11:51 AM
thanx for all the nice info

:xyxthumbs

endus
11-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by mrbean

thanx 4dSC

but just another quick question

will the car wash wash away the SG (I am using Meguire`s Golden Car Wash)? Also if i can park in the garage instead of parking on the street , is washing necessary ?

Thanx again

If the washing washed away the SG the SG really wouldn`t be worth applying would it?

Wash the car again is my advice and the rule that I *always follow...never rub without washing.

Also, you might try letting the SG sit for more than 20 mins.,..the directions say up to 24 hours...I usually vacuum or do windows or something in between application and buffing...1-1.5 hours.