PDA

View Full Version : Pre Zaino prep question - minor scratches/swirls

JohnAndDar
11-05-2003, 02:47 PM
Hi,

I`m new to the forum and after searching & reviewing past threads I`m a bit overwhelmed by all of the information available here (I`m not complaining, I just never realized how much I didn`t know about proper auto care and how many different products can be used).

I have a new 2004 F150 that is black. It has some fine surface scratches and minor swirling (the dealer "prep" people weren`t very careful apparently). I had been using Zaino on my prior truck (Silver), which I now realize was much more forgiving when it comes to showing minor scratches and swirls.

I`ve read "Nick`s unsolicited Zaino Tips & Tricks", which is helpful, and I would like to continue to use Zaino, especially because of its reputation for durability. The truck is not garaged (It would be if I had one suitable for it) and I`ve got a long Pennsylvania winter to get through with few opportunities to polish/wax.

I`d like to know what other members would recommend to remove fine scratches/swirls, without filling them...and then what else should be used before the Zaino gets applied. I`ll be applying everything by hand..so let me know if that makes a difference with a particular brand.

If anyone feels that I should consider something other than Zaino for looks and durability on a black finish, I`d love to hear about it. I don`t mind trying different things, I just don`t want to go on a shopping spree without at least getting the benefit of feedback from people with experience using different products.

Thanks,

John

imported_Greg
11-06-2003, 08:52 AM
Welcome to Autopia! I would suggest maybe some Meguiars #9 swirl remover. It does contain some fillers, so you would need to remove those with either alcohol/water mixture or a dawn wash. If you are happy with Zaino, then I`d stay stick with it because it does last a long time and you already have it. If the #9 doesn`t fit the bill, you might want to try some Megs DACP, although it can be difficult to use by hand. Try a search for some hand techniques for swirl removal. Scottwax does everything by hand and his work speaks for itself. Post some more questions if you got them.

rstype
11-06-2003, 09:36 AM
In addition to DACP, you might want to try some Einszett polishes. Their Paint Polish works okay by hand; it takes energy, but it does remove swirl marks. 1Z PP contains fillers, so you`ll have to IPA-wipe your truck prior to Z. With most other medium-grade polishes, I`d recommend a machine.

HilfigerCelica
11-06-2003, 09:53 AM
I`d suggest you go ahead an get a PC. It`s one of the best detailing tools out there. You`ll save a lot of time with a PC rather trying to get swirls out by hand. I got 6 pads from Top of the Line and the PC from coastal tools for under $200 shipped. Ask anyone with a PC if they would go back to polishing by hand and I bet 95% would say no. For minor swirls, I`ve had great results with 3M PI-III MG. It contains no fillers so it won`t affect your Zaino.

JohnAndDar
11-06-2003, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I`m going to do some forum searches so I can learn more about using a PC.

John