PDA

View Full Version : Moving to apt with outdoor parking.

lcrgvze
11-05-2003, 02:52 AM
Whats up guys. I moved to La Jolla California (a city north of San Diego.) The car is going to be parked outside all the time and I`m wondering if that will have negative affects on my paint. It`s a diamond white 1998 honda prelude.

Should I take any special detailing procedures to better protect my paint? What about car covers? good idea? I basically park my car on monday and don`t drive it again until friday afternoon.

Thanks!

imported_memnuts
11-05-2003, 06:16 AM
Try renting some garage space somewhere near your new home. A car sitting unattended ( detailed) for 5 days outdoors will be subjected to various weather changes and will eventually lead to paint damage ( water spotting, etching, fading, bird bombs etc.). A car cover is not the answer because of the inheritent damage they produced on an outdoor stored vehicle. Tough "real world" problem for an Autopian without a garage. I am sure someone will chime in who is dealing with the same situation.

ntoddalbert
11-05-2003, 07:37 AM
Im outdoors 24/7, if you keep up with washing and use a good sealant like Klasse/Zaino or wax regularly it should be no problem. A garage is always better but it can be done without, just take a little more effort

At least your not in the snow belt

imported_CBX Carl
11-05-2003, 08:45 AM
Just another reason to detail more often. I use the Klasse AIO/SG S100 and have been very happy with the results. Don`t forget about the sunscreen when parked to protect the interior from the sun.

togwt
11-05-2003, 09:54 AM
~One man’s opinion~

I used a ‘Sunbrella’(custom fit with mirror pockets and cable-lock to secure it) on the two daily drivers without to many problems with scratches ~ but then what better excuse to get out the PC/pads/SMR. It gives great protection from the (Florida) sun

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect

Jesstzn
11-05-2003, 10:07 AM
[i] I basically park my car on monday and don`t drive it again until friday afternoon.

Thanks! [/B]

I`d be most worried about bird droppings sitting on the paint for up to 5 days. The other "environmental" damage unless you live close to heavy industry will be minimal and slow acting and sealnts like Klasse or Zaino should help there. The bird droppings can etch the paint very quickly. Another thing to think about is leaves on wetted paint, some can leach out tanic acid and leave imprints. Are you safe from sprinkler systems and thier fine mist water spotting?

shaf
11-06-2003, 01:35 AM
I`m in a similar position, except I also have to drive my car. :p My car sits outside on the curb 24/7 pretty much, and there`s not very much you can do or should do differently, other than frequent inspections for bird bombs.

I would also try to park some place where exposure to bird bombs, pedestrians, sprinklers, etc. would be minimal if possible. Look up (trees, certain building ledges, etc.) and look down (lotsa white spots!) to help identify high bird traffic areas. I`ve already learned where NOT to park at work!

imported_memnuts
11-06-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

. The other "environmental" damage unless you live close to heavy industry will be minimal and slow acting and sealnts like Klasse or Zaino should help there.

Southern California = Smog = Acidic rain = serious water spotting :(

Estranged
11-12-2003, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the all repsonse guys! I`m currently trying to get my apt complex to let me use the indoor parking. My current space is not too bad, no bird pooping, no cats and no sprinklers. Regardless, I still want to do a detail. I`m still pretty new to the whole thing. I`ve only done it once with the meguiars 3step.

I`ve researched it down to two things, Zaino and Klasse, learning more towards Zaino. Given my situation (newbie, white pearl paint, 900 miles of driving per month) which would fit me best?

Those 900 miles are from commuting from Los Angeles to San Diego 4 times a month.

Glowin97x
11-12-2003, 09:33 PM
hey i live in an apartment in San Diego as well, Im at sdsu. I just try to keep it as clean as possible, use a good sealant wax and just wash it as much as possible. Hope i can help, always good to see another so caler

BlueDragonZ
11-14-2003, 10:12 AM
I`m almost in the same situation as you. I don`t have a garage but I do have covered parking. My car car is also my daily driver. I basically wash her at least twice a week and dust and detail in between washing. I would definately get a car cover but make sure you wash the car first before putting the cover on. This will basically keep her from scratching. Also, I wouldn`t just buy the cheapest car cover around. Search for one that actaully protects it from various environmental damage.

lcrgvze
12-23-2003, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the replies. Now that I`m home my car is a complete mess. Bird droppings everywhere and dirt all over. I really think I should go ahead and get the car cover after I do the complete detail. I washed my car a pigeons decide to poop all over, I am sooo MAD.

I`m well aware of the issue of putting a car cover on a dirty car. That is, scratching the paint due to the cover rubbing against the dirt onto the paint. I guess I will have to be extra gentle.

togwt
12-23-2003, 10:11 AM
~One man’s opinion~

My daily driver (98 miles per day) is parked outside 24/7. I work at an air base (Florida) no covered shelter at all.

My solution a car cover as already mentioned and a California duster /QD spray

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

~ justadumbarchitect * so i question everything *