PDA

View Full Version : New paint question

randy98mtu
11-04-2003, 03:29 PM
So my sister just had her car fixed from a small accident. She doesn`t care about her car at all compared to the people here, so for those purposes the repair looks pretty good. Now the puzzling part, the place that did the repair told her not to wash it for a month and not to wax it for 2. What`s that about? I`ve never heard such a thing! It was Collex Collision, I think they are a chain. Any thoughts on this? I kinda want to start detailing my family`s cars for practice, so I`m not sure about this one.

Preachers Sheets
11-04-2003, 03:35 PM
The paint may not be fully dried. It`s a small price to pay (waiting for a few weeks) rather than messing the paint up.

fidelfs
11-04-2003, 06:50 PM
You have to let cure the paint from a paint shop. 2 months is oke.

They don`t have the big ovens car manufacturers use to cure the paint. When you buy a brand new car is already cure because of that.

:xyxthumbs

ccreamer
11-04-2003, 07:00 PM
Not to wash it for a month? I can understand the waxing, and I could understand if they said not to use a high pressure wash or any method other than by hand with a mild soap and cool water, but to not wash it at all seems a bit excessive.

Actually, can`t you even apply any glaze that is marked as Body Shop Safe (Meguiar`s and 3M will mark theirs accordingly)?

Cory

randy98mtu
11-04-2003, 07:57 PM
Huh. Thanks for the replies. I had some paint work done on my Taurus and when I asked them they didn`t say anything about doing anything different to it. Guess I`ll just let her car be for now.