PDA

View Full Version : Chasing the "Grail" w/NXT

Pages : [1] 2

JustinR32
11-04-2003, 12:27 AM
First; there`s a reason that the Grail story is so old, but still familiar (nih!). The reason is that it is a universal human condition to strive for unattainable perfection.

Second, I`ve been thinking about my rack of supplies,

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/220000-220999/220856_108_full.jpg

and thinking about how they would all become obsolete (in my mind) as soon as I got my hands on NXT.

And then I got to thinking about how it`s process, not product.

And about how, as a reformed audio "gear junkie", I used to get trapped into reading about the latest and greatest innovation in speakers, or amps, or cables, and how much better my system could sound, if I only threw $5000 more at it...! But... hold on a second... it sounded pretty damn sweet yesterday. What did I think was wrong?

Yes, I`ll be first in line for NXT. But I`m thinking the other stuff works pretty good, too. If I waxed all our cars (Malibu, Miata, and 2 Trailblazers, including my Dad`s) once a week for the next year, I might make a dent in that shelf. NXT. Sure. But I gotta get rid of some of the other stuff, too.

Tom

FredBro
11-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Sam Adams Octoberfest? IS that a cleaner wax?

and my GF thinks I`M ill!!!!

:)

imported_Brett K
11-04-2003, 10:07 AM
Yeah Tom...when we were listing supplies to share, you mentioned nothing of the Sam Adams. What gives?:D

BTW...I have a special fridge in the garage for detailing with some choice brews that you won`t find locally. I will have to throw in a sampler with our next exchange.

JustinR32
11-04-2003, 12:37 PM
LOL, the Sammies will be gone by Saturday...

It was that or Paulaner, and I went for the one I was more certain to be fresh. So many times the imported stuff is mishandled, y`know?

Tom

MBZ 500E
11-04-2003, 12:38 PM
Tom, amazing collection.:bow

Instead of trying to use all the products pass some along to friends and neighbors and keep the products you really like. This method has allowed me to borrow some really cool tools (Nail Gun, Compressor, Skilsaw etc) and saved lots of money with home remodeling.:D :o It also gives you an excuse to get new products.;)

imported_Brett K
11-04-2003, 01:32 PM
I agree with MBZ 500E. I`ll be happy to take those jars of Souveran off your hands neighbor;)

Knowing that you appreciate a good beer, I think I`ll have to put aside a bottle of La Maudite for you. It is a belgium style beer that, for some reason, hides minor swirls and imperfections very well when detailing. After two bottles, the car will look perfect

:cool:

paco
11-04-2003, 03:41 PM
Tom,

The only thing about NXT... the impression I had was that it "hides" swirls etc. and doesn`t necessarily remove them. So we`ll still need an array of products if the goal is to completely remove them. The though of always having to see swirls etc as the protection wares thin isn`t that appealing.

Plus, NXT isn`t for plastics/rubber as far as I can tell.

I`m sure it`ll be a handy product, but I doubt it`ll be as great as the hype... think back to Blackfire etc...

We`ll still need to pay close attention to washing, glazing is still an option as is a wax topper. So, the impact of NXT although potentially good (especially for a quick cover-up), I doubt it`ll become the holy grail and you can still rack-up the products :-)

Mike_Phillips
11-04-2003, 04:46 PM
A quick comment and a picture.

Tech Wax is for use on new, like new, or previously cleaned and polished surfaces. I have been testing it on a whole array of finishes just to test its limits. This is not a cleaner wax, it does not contain any ingredients with the intended purpose of cleaning, or abrading the surface.

The other day ago, I applied it to a brand new carbon fiber hood on an employees Honda. In the sun, you could easily see the zig-zag pattern of Buffer Swirl in the finish.

To fully test this products ability to fill in and hide swirls, I washed the car and the hood twice with Dawn to chemically strip it, then wiped the hood down with a 50/50 mix of Isopropyl Alcohol and water (twice), and then applied Tech Wax with no other surface prep.

In other words, I did nothing to remove the buffer swirl, or fill it in using either a paint cleaner, cleaner/polish, or pure polish. I dulled the finish down with the Dawn wash and the Isopropyl Alchol wipe-down, and left a bare, virgin surface.

The goal was to test how well this product could fill in the swirls. One application reduced them, but it did not completely remove them. It does have a limit. What this product does is adds polymer protection, turns the surface dark and clear, fills in light swirls, scratches and cobweb effect, adds lots of shine and gloss. From all of the products I have used over the years, including competitors, my eyes tell me this product gives me the best results.

So just like any wax or synthetic paint protectant, surface prep is the key to maximum results.

Here is a before picture hood only.

Mike_Phillips
11-04-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by paco

Tom,

The only thing about NXT... the impression I had was that it "hides" swirls etc. and doesn`t necessarily remove them.

Meguiar`s has always been about removing defects, not necessarily filling them in, or hiding them.

At the same time, modern clear coats are incredibly hard, yet scratch so easy. Modern clear coats are durable, but they`re scratch sensitive, so they`re a blessing and a curse at the same time.

Here is a picture where I have taped off the drivers side and applied NXT Tech Wax. You can still see where the swirls are on the passenger side.

Mike_Phillips
11-04-2003, 04:54 PM

I`m sure it`ll be a handy product, but I doubt it`ll be as great as the hype... think back to Blackfire etc...

The hype is my fault. I got a little excited after I started using it.

It`s hard to get excited about a new Compound, but a new last step product that tops-off, or showcases your car`s paint and all of your hard work?

Now I can get excited about that.

Here is a picture with the NXT Tech Wax removed. If you look closely, you can still see the buffer swirl on both sides. On the Tech Wax side, it is much less noticable.

Mike_Phillips
11-04-2003, 04:58 PM

We`ll still need to pay close attention to washing, glazing is still an option as is a wax topper.

I agree.

I`m buffing out a 1956 Oldsmobile this weekend and taking my complete arsenal of products and tools.

NXT Tech Wax will merely be the last product I apply, my LSP, (Last Step Product).

Here`s a picture of the sun right down the middle of the tape line. Remember, this is with no prep work at all, just chemically stripped with Dawn twice, then I wiped the finish down with a 50/50 alcohol/water mix.

Mike_Phillips
11-04-2003, 05:02 PM

So, the impact of NXT although potentially good (especially for a quick cover-up), I doubt it`ll become the holy grail and you can still rack-up the products :-)

It will never be the end-all, be-all product, people are just too different. I like Cadillacs with big fins and big block Chevy engines in them, my friend and co-worker that owns this car prefers fast, agile Honda`s.

Today, I pulled his car back in to the Training Garage and buffed the hood using #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish, on the PC with a W-7006 cutting pad on the 6.0 setting. I then wiped off the residue and applied one coat of NXT Tech Wax.

Here are the results,

Mike_Phillips
11-04-2003, 05:04 PM
I couldn`t get a picture with the sun directly overhead, but here`s one more shot of the finish.

The clear results enable you to easily see the carbon fiber strands under the clear coat paint. (not in this picture, but when you`re standing in front of the car)

explorer
11-04-2003, 05:22 PM
Awsome job Mike, I think it looks pretty good for a unaccompanied product , I can just imagine what can be accomplished with all the right steps taken.:shocked :xyxthumbs :wavey

I`ll take this opportunity to thank all of Autopia, I have learned a lot over the couple of months I`ve been here:wavey

imported_memnuts
11-04-2003, 06:11 PM
Looks great Mike. Nice presentation. :bow

You think you are excited, what do you think we are going thought waiting to try this stuff? This would be a great winter time hibernation make-over experiment.

DACP, Menzerna twins, NXT, NXT rejuveniator and FD. :D